Is it me?

aurora06

Or does the argument against the use of the spiral ct scan for screening seem circular. I read the paragraph in the study that stated The study did not prove that finding the cancers early saves lives...it cannot conclusively show whether screening saves more lives than doing nothing. It cannot be known whether early screening with the spiral ct scan saves lives unless they start USING them to screen and they won't use them to screen unless it can be shown to save lives. Seems awfully circular to me?

It's not just you. I agree with you. These are thousands of lives at stake and they are wanting to check a box on a form...typical government bureacracy gone too far.

There can't be a control group for everything we do. Don't we implement new ideas within corporations and see what the results are and compare to the past. What's wrong with comparing to the past rather than waiting 10 years to do something we know intuitively HAS to save lives.

My personal take on the research, from my own experience, is that when everything is said and done it will be shown that spiral CT screening CAN detect more small/early LC's - however, it will not translate into a true change in survival rates until they have the technology to DO something about the findings. Unfortunately, even when small tumors/nodules are discovered, (peripherally - central tumors can be dx'd by bronchoscopy) they (supposedly) can currently do NOTHING with them, except wait & watch 'til they get large enough to biopsy. Until there are safer surgical biopsy alternatives available to sample sub-centimeter nodules, we will probably be stuck with simply watching these nodules, 'til they are of a more operable size, and subsequently, then visible on chest xray, anyway... :roll:

Aaaargh!!! The above is simply my opinion based on frustrating experience... :shock: I'm still an advocate of spiral CT screening, though. 8)

Yours in HOPE!!

Stacey

Interesting then, after the xray detects something THEN a ct scan is done and not the other way around. So to me, that would mean the ct scan may pick up something that the xray does not. They had mom get the ct scan after the chest xray. So maybe critics are sidestepping the real issue which is they wouldn't know what to do if something very small showed up. I guess they could keep an eye on it.

So to me, that would mean the ct scan may pick up something that the xray does not. They had mom get the ct scan after the chest xray. So maybe critics are sidestepping the real issue which is they wouldn't know what to do if something very small showed up. I guess they could keep an eye on it.

Bingo!!! Xrays do not reliably show nodules smaller than 1cm...my xray showed nothing, and it was taken two weeks prior to my first CT which showed 4 nodules! However, no docs I've seen feel that my nodules are "resectable" or able to be biopsied, as yet. So, yes, they keep an eye on it.... :?