We don't know

Can anyone give me a idea what stage they think my Dad's cancer is at, we don't know anything much about stages, he has not coughed up any blood for awhile . He said to me today,that the painkillers that the Doctor gave him last Friday, which are stronger than the last lot, are not having much effect. He also said his bones were digging into him with all the weight that has come off his body,no real muscles left on his bones,he wouldnot have the bone scan that he was offered. He has to see the cancer Doctor at the hospital next Monday morning. My brother will be taking them both for the appointment, as Dad will need a wheelchair to take him from the car to the clinic. Maybe we will get some answers, but sometimes I don't think Dad wants to know the answers. Sonia UK

Hi Sonia I can't say what your dad's stage is and I doubt a doctor would say without tests and such like the bone scan. It does sound like it is late stage. Here is a link that talks about staging:

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/defau ... 6706#about

I may be late stage, but I don't really care and don't want to know, as long as they know how to treat it. My cancer is not easily staged because it is local and has not been biopsied. I did have cancer in my left lung. now my left lung is gone, but I have cancer in my right lung now. If it is the same cancer as what was in my left lung, I would be stage 4. If it is a new primary, I would be stage 1. whatever...I just want it to go away.

I hope your dad can put on some wight. Maintaining a healthy weight is half the battle. Is he still eating well? Try keeping snacks on hand and encourage him to eat at frequent intervals during the day. Now would be a good time for him to eat yummy stuff like ice cream and bananas and chocolate syrup.

Don m

Sonia,

Hopefully, your Dad's doctor will be able to help guide you as to what needs to be done at this point. In order to stage cancer , scans must be done. From there, the reccommended treatment is decided. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this difficult time.

Love,

Sue