Celebrex

karen335

Hi All,

If you have had experience with Celebrex and what the results have been, would you please share that info. It would be greatly appreciated. I would like the experience to be for the nsc instead of the sc... I am not sure if the two different lc would have the same results. My onc said to benefit from this med, according to clinical trials yo have to take 80mg twice per day. She is willing to prescribe this to me, any suggestions?

Thanks for your responses.

Karen

Karen,

From what I've read, the study in question tested for 800 mg./day, not twice a day. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't have a reference to what I read in the past. What I *do* remember distinctly was that the study showed the Celebrex in combination with Carbo/Taxol helped shrink tumors better than the chemo alone. They didn't test other chemo doublets.

I'm taking 200 mg. twice a day because of the joint pain presumably caused by Taxol. Plus, I have a bit of arthritis in my neck that flared with chemo, so that in combination with the study results made my onc say "what the heck, can't hurt." He did say there were "some problems" with the study, but didn't elaborate, and I didn't press since he was prescribing it anyway.

I didn't start taking it until about halfway through my second 3-week chemo cycle, so it's hard to say what effect it's had yet. It's certainly helped my joint pain, and my neck hasn't bothered me in ages.

My first CT scan after 3 cycles showed a 25% reduction in volume of the primary lung tumor. I have another scan scheduled for next week, and I'll certainly share the results here, no matter what. Hopefully you'll read it in the Good News section!

Barb

Here's the study abstract published in Journal of Clinical Oncology, July 15, 2003. Celecoxib is Celebrex. The only problem I see, from reading the abstract alone, is the small size of the study. But larger studies are planned.

Purpose: Preclinical studies suggest that treatment with a selective cyclo-oxygenase-2 (COX-2) inhibitor may augment the antitumor effects of chemotherapy. In this study, patients with non–small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) were preoperatively treated with celecoxib in combination with chemotherapy. End points were toxicity, response rates, and measurement of intratumoral levels of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2).

Methods: In this phase II trial, 29 patients with stages IB to IIIA NSCLC were treated with two preoperative cycles of paclitaxel and carboplatin, as well as daily celecoxib, followed by surgical resection. Levels of PGE2 in the primary tumors and adjacent normal lung tissue were compared in 17 study patients versus 13 controls, who received preoperative paclitaxel/carboplatin without celecoxib.

Results: All patients completed preoperative chemotherapy, and 26 completed preoperative celecoxib. The overall clinical response rate was 65% (48% with partial response; 17% with complete response). Grade 3 or 4 neutropenia was observed in 18 patients (62%). Twenty-eight patients were explored and underwent complete resection of their tumors. There were no complete pathologic responses, but seven patients (24%) had minimal residual microscopic disease. The addition of celecoxib to a regimen of paclitaxel and carboplatin abrogated the marked increase in levels of PGE2 detected in primary tumors after treatment with paclitaxel and carboplatin alone.

Conclusion: In comparison with historically reported response rates, these data suggest that the addition of a selective COX-2 inhibitor may enhance the response to preoperative paclitaxel and carboplatin in patients with NSCLC. Moreover, treatment with celecoxib 400 mg twice daily was sufficient to normalize the increase in PGE2 levels found in NSCLC patients after treatment with paclitaxel and carboplatin. Confirmatory trials are planned.