Black and Blue - Normal?

GinnyB

Hi All,

I had my first week of Topotecan last week, and now this week, the backs of my hands are black and blue, green and red, (certainly not pretty!). Looks like I've been run over by a truck...all of which I might have expected from five days of needle sticks, at 2x minimum. But, now, I'm getting blood spots just under the skin from something as simple as scratching an itch or brushing against a counter. I think that Topotecan can cause low platelets, but just wondered if anyone else has experienced this. Had no problems with Cisplatin/Etoposide, which carries the same warnings. Any advice? (I'll call Dr. tomorrow)

Thanks,

GinnyB

My husband does get very low platelets with Topotecan and does end up with "blood spots/patches" from any little knick or bump. If it looks like it's too much you may want to notify the Dr. How often do you get the Topotecan? Have you had a CBC lately?

Hello All:

Thanks for your replies....I'm just back from the Dr., who tells me that CBC show moderately low red/white blood cells and platelets. Going back on Friday for another CBC to see if they're coming up. Until then, have been advised to "take it easy" and quit running into stuff! :lol:

Thanks,

GinnyB