update on worried about my dad

keo4

Hi,

The doctors told my mom and brother that my dad's WBC count was .1 ! They said that because his WBC count was so low, his body could not handle the Oxycotin. So my dad is being isolated right now and everyone has to wear masks and gowns when they come into the room. My brother told me that my dad's fever has gone down and is normal. He also said that my father's level of consciousness was back to normal. His oncologists' are going to see him in the hospital tomorrow. I'm worried and all I keep thinking about is "what if my mom didn't call my brother who then called me who then told my brother to take dad to the hospital immediately." I'm just so thankful that my mom was home when my dad passed out in the bathroom. My brother lives in the same town as my parents and is thinking about moving back home temporarily to keep a closer eye out for my dad. Do any of you think it is a bad idea? We are afraid that my dad might get even more depressed because he would probably feel like he was being "babysat". My dad has always been the one that took care of everyone and we feel that we want to do the same for him. My dad will insist that he is "okay" and "don't worry". It just kills me to know that he is suffering so bad. Anyways, sorry for going on about all this, I couldn't sleep and needed to express my feelings.

Kathi

Kathi, so glad it is turning out okay for your dad. Sometimes things happen so fast with meds. The new onc gave Buddy some new meds for his pain in the rib area that has been there since the operation. Well, this morning the skin under his eyes is all filled with fluid. I not only had cancer, I had meds to. One never knows if they will get a reaction or not and that is very frightening.

Your brother moving back home has to be something he really wants to do. It can't be something others want he to do...I don't recall the age of your mom. I know I can handle whatever comes along right now for my husband and I am 67. I sure would not want my son to come moving over here. That would be two I would have to possibly take care of. I can handle one but don't want two. What does your mom think?

Hi Everyone,

My dad's fever started to go up again this morning. They are pumping him full of steroids, antibiotics, and growth factor injections for his really low wbc. He is still out of it and they are desperately trying to increase his white blood cell count. They are going to give him 3 pints of blood tonight to try and help him. They expect him to be in the hospital for another 3 or 4 days. He still has 2 more rounds of chemo to go. Is it going to be this bad every time?

Kathi

We have had more trouble dealing with the side effects of pain medications than anything else. Remember that the chemotherapy is going to reduce his pain and he will not need to use all of the pain meds. The only time my husband has been sick and unable to go to work is when he has gotten sick from pain meds. The chemo usually does not have such ill effects. The blood counts are a problem obviously. Maybe they will reduce the strength of his chemo dose to try to avoid the problem. Things can look very bad one day and then can settle down and go very smoothly the next. Do not panic. It is all a balancing act and they will find the right combination. God bless.