update on my dad

Guest JasonChang

Guest JasonChang

Hey gang, sorry it has been quite a while since I last posted. Just to give an update on my dad and 2nd line treatment. After being declared NED in July, my dad was doing well until around September. This is when they discovered an Adrenal Gland Met, as well as a few others. Well today he went to have his ct scans taken for a 2 month check up to see how well the topotecan and cytoxan were working. My dad doesnt have another appointment scheduled till the 14th of November, which totally sucks. Since I have the ct scans from today right here, I began to compare them with the ones from September. From what I can tell, the adrenal met is still there :-/. And maybe a little larger. The pleural effusion is still there, and another one of the mets that was discovered in September, looks a little larger. I couldn't find any other lesions, but I'm not qualified to make a report on ct scans either, so who knows what I could be missing. I'm trying to get him scheduled for a 2nd opinion, because waiting 2 more weeks just to talk to his doctor sounds a bit ridiculous is you ask me.

Anyone have any suggetions?

Also does anyone know if cpt-11 could be effective if my dad was already given topotecan? Since they are the same type of chemo, I have this feeling that the doctor wont try that. But from reading a lot of stuff online, I always stumble across results that they have with cpt-11.

I'm a bit worried about waiting till his appointment to find out what the ct scans really say, and I just don't know what to tell my dad.He hasn't had too many problems with side effects from chemo. His blood counts always managed to get high enough for his next session. The only thing I can think of is the pain he has usually at night. He says he the lower left side on his back feels uncomfortable, and complains that he can't really sleep since that bothers him. And once in a while he'll have shoulder pain. When the shoulder pain does come, i could tell that it really hurts, just by the look on his face. I have no clue what it could be. He's had a bone scan done, and nothing looked out of the ordinary.

I'll come back to type some more, but I have to be off to work...

Thanks for your time...

I wish everyone the best...

Jason Chang

Jason,

Two weeks is to long to have to wait for results when you are dealing with SCLC. I would call the docs office and tell them that you either want to talk to the doctor or you need to have a appointment ASAP. SCLC is a very fast moving cancer. When was the bone scan taken? My Mother had a bone scan which was negative and three weeks later when she was having her routine lung/abdomen CT scan bone mets showed up in her spine and pelvis. The doctor told us that the cancer had moved to the bone in only three weeks time. Please contact them and make them get you those results sooner. I will keep your father in my prayers.

Susan M.

Hi Jason, sorry to hear about the new met they found. Just to add my two cents worth here i also believe like Susan says that 2 weeks is to long to wait. There isnt any reason in the world not to be able to get a CT read quicker than that. I would suggest calling the docs office and letting them know you will be dropping the CT off and will call back in a couple days for the official interpretation. Susan is also exactly right when she says this disease moves quick. I am dealing with what appears to be a full blown recurrance after just 2 months of being NED. In three weeks time i have went straight downhill. I have several suspected mets to my bones including my shoulder and ribs and it is very painful. Hopefully this isnt your fathers case. I also will be starting a second line chemo med early next week im sure. I have heard good things about cpt - 11. I dont know that much about it except it has achieved pretty good results compared to alot of the others. At any rate call that Doc and get them scans to him. Keep us posted. Good luck !

Greg

Guest JasonChang

The doctor nor anyone else at the office has called us about results. I have called everyday but they seem to give me the run around. I am getting pretty mad, and don't know what else I could do. It just sucks because we had an appointment scheduled for this past tuesday, but they cancelled it. We should have been in the loop by now. I AM SO WORRIED. It doesnt help that my dad is starting to have pain around the tip of the femur, as well as some sort of lump near the incision from his wedge resection.

Jason, if I were in your position, I would go down to the hospital and stare them in the face telling them that you have called them repeatedly to receive no call back. Remind them that you wait on pins and needles on results of the scan and that its gut wrenching and nervewracking to go through. You can always follow it up with a letter and fax it over. I've done this twice and both times I got a call in about 10 minutes after I've faxed it. I combined forceful with nice and it seems to work. I'd compliment the doctor on her skills but then remind her that this is my mother and I will go to all ends to take care of her properly just as she would if it was her mom. Now, we get terrific treatment. Now, my mom's doctor even calls my mom to check up even on her days off.

I wish you the best of luck.