why my mom?

Guest confused in texas

Guest confused in texas

my name is randy, im 27 and my mom is 52. two months ago my non smoking, gym teacher/ mother coughed up a small bit of blood. we went to the doctor and found out she has stage iv nsclc. it spread to several sets of lymph nodes, abdomen, spleen,large tumor in one lung, bronchial tubes, and a dozen legions in the brain. this is the only tragedy that has ever struck our entire family. were like the cleavers. i have a 25 year old sister a twelve year old brother and my mom just turned a grandma last year. this was not suppose to happen to us. its like its just a bad dream. the worst thing about this whole ordeal is that she still feels fine no symptoms at all. now we start radiation tomorrow and then chemo and hopefully some sort of clinical trial at md anderson. we are living proof that this can happen to anyone. i cant believe they dont have some sort of screening for this disease. my mom has done all her mamograms and check ups and we never saw it coming. the day we got the results i put my mom on a strict cancer diet with select vitamins and herbs, and our mindset has been full recovery and accepting nothing less. im curious if there are any survivors with similar conditions? please email me at ilk2roll@yahoo.com thank you very much for listening to me ! this website is an excellent tool for us rookies.

Dear Confused,

Yup, this old lung cancer is bitchy business. My LC was accidently identified earlier than your mom's, but I too am a total non-smoker, exercised very regularly, maintained a healthy weight, had all my mammograms, pap smears, a colonoscopy at the appropriate age, bone-density scans, blah, blah, blah. Made no difference because there was never any kind of screening done for LC...What a shock to learn that lung cancer can happen to anybody, any age, any lifestyle, etc. It is no respecter of norms. That said, it sounds as if you guys are on the right track with positive expectations, looking into clinical trials at M.D., etc. Sorry to welcome you here, but this is an exceptional support system. Please continue to visit and keep us updated. Saying a prayer for your mom.

Hi, Confused one. My heart skipped a beat when I saw your post. So spooky! Because I live in Houston, with a son in Dallas and a son and daughter in Houston. They are older than you, but nevertheless, my wife has NSCLC Stage IV also, with mets to five bone sites. She has never smoked! This is her first major bout with a life-threatening disease. I felt like my younger son in Dallas was posting here! Know that you have a lot of support here. Drop me a private note anytime at dlwood@sbcglobal.net. My prayers are with you. Don