Amazing

hopeful?

I have to say that I find everyone here and their stories absolutely amazing. I feel guilty feeling sorry for my situation after coming here and reading everyone's stories and what you have all gone through. I don't know how you do it! I was only recently diagnosed in July of 07 with stage IV NCSLC and have been receiving chemo treatments through November with a great tumor response (shrinkage). Took a "break" for the holidays and now recent scans have showed some new activity. I am so discouraged and not handling this well at all. How could it have responded so well to treatment yet begin to spread again so quickly? I am so upset with myself as this is really spoiling my Christmas and it could be my last one. How do you all keep going

Of course you're upset, who wouldn't be? Almost everyone here as been in the same place. My husband had a great response with some chemos and no shrinkage at all with one. It was discouraging but the oncologist switched to something else and things kept shrinking. He went on Iressa and Tarceva and Avastin after that. After the holidays, your doctor will change to something else, so don't get discouraged, just think of it as a way to get to the right drug for you.

Dear Hopeful-

I am also Stage IV. I was diagnosed in Sept 2006 and am doing very well. I had the original 6 cycles of Carbo/Taxol/Avastin and after the second cycle my tumor showed significant reduction. After the six cycles, when they HAVE to take you off, I continued with Avastin only until this past Oct when I showed a bit of progression. It is discouraging but you have to remember, as my onc told me, they expect reduction in the beginning and from then on in most cases, they are just trying to maintain the size of your tumor. When I showed progression, they switched me to something else in the hopes to only keep it under control and not grow again. My last scan showed a wee bit of improvement.

With them switching you to a new chemo, there is a good chance you will have some more shrinkage or at least "maintain" where you are at now. Also, if you have just finished your first line chemo, they have quite a few more options to put you on. Everyone is different with which ones work the best for them.

I pray that you can still enjoy the holidays. Please keep us posted as to what your next chemo will be and how you are doing.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hopeful,

I think your name says it all -- please remain hopeful in the face of this news. I think Patti B hit a lot of the highlights of treatment and what they hope for with different regimens. Stage IV's can all be different animals too! Some folks have tumors that lolly-gag around and don't grow too fast, while others have tumors that are off to the races. My husband was like you and always needed to be on chemo to control the spread. He did get the bonus buy of responding to every treatment (except Tarceva, where it grew), but I think more aggressive cancers tend to show a better response or at least that was our theory! :) Even late into his illness, he showed remarkable reduction (including bone mets) when we switched up treatment. Our oncologist also thought outside of the traditional 4-6 treatment & radiation box and it gave my husband a lot more time. (Check his profile.)

Please be hopeful that you will see more Christmas's to come. I'm sending you my warmest wishes and big hugs to help get through this time.

Welthy

Hopeful,

There are many chemo drugs to choose from. Everyone reacts differently . "Hopeful"ly , the next choice will be the perfect one for you. I do understand how discouraging this news can be, but know that it just means a new game plan ahead. We will be here for you. Hang in there and know that people here understand and can oftentimes be very helpful. Try to relax and enjoy your holidays.

Sue