Getting to Know You - March 8

Ann

What is the most valuable item you have ever found at a garage sale/thrift shop/flea market/estate sale...you get the picture? How much did you pay for the item? Tell us a little bit about it.

Not garage sale but similiar. We have a public salvaging area at our local landfill. A guy just found a retirement plaque there given to a sea captain. There was a small gold ship at the top, then verses, then a gold coin at the bottom. He just had the coin appraised in Edmonton and it is valued at $32,000. He is now getting the ship appraised as well as rubies he found with it.

Well it was sort of me, I was in high school. My dad was an antique dealer and he went to a family auction and came home with all kinds of things. One was a box of photos. The daughter had been a concert violinist and traveled Europe performing. The photos were amazing (you know the old ones on cardboard some were pretty large)and I liked them so much my dad gave me the box after he picked out what he thought were the good ones. So...I am looking and I found a photo, I looked closer and OH MY GOD-- it was one of my favorite artists. I looked at my dad and said, "You don't know who this is? It's Mucha-- Alphonse Mucha and he's sitting in his studio". I went to my room where I had one of his posters, brought it down and showed him. Not only was it his photo, it was signed to the daughter in French. I keep it for years and sold it about 6 years ago on E-bay for a good amount of money because you could see the paintings he was working on in the studio.

My dad had several other good finds...a box of Tiffany glass with a bowl, compotes, etc. for a few dollars, and several paintings by famous artists. I've found some great buys myself, but nothing like he found.

I'm just beginning to get back into antiques and collectibles a wee bit. Many of the things I grew up with in the hills of Applachia, are now considered to be antique and collectible. When I first moved into my own home, I wanted all the new, modern stuff after being around all the "prim" stuff for so many years. What a costly mistake that was, as I had so many neat things. I still have some of those things...thank goodness.

But...I have been lucky lately. I found two very nice pieces of Royal Albert figures, some really vintage Pyrex pieces, some Occupied Japan things and Limogues.

So, now that we know you're a pro, Ry...you'll have to help us out.

Not me, but my daughter found a doll from the 60's like she had once owned. She paid $5.00 for it and sold it on Ebay for over $200. One never knows, do one!

Timmy P 1938-2004 I just used one of his favorite expressions above.

I collect, among other things, flow blue pottery. I have many plates and they are worth well over $100.oo each. I went to a garage sale once and the lady had all kinds of plates on the table selling for $1.00 each. Lo and behold, there was a beautiful flow blue plate there. I grabbed it up and went to the check out and she asked me if I minded paying $2.00 instead for it "because its so pretty". I told her no problemo - and off I went. The last I checked its worth about $135.00.

Felt guilty for a while - but just a short while!!

PAtti B