New here

I'm new here. My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer 6wks ago - Feb 19th. :( I am frustrated with the time it takes for any treatment to begin. We live in Canada. She went for a biopsy 2 weeks ago and is finally seeing an oncologist tomorrow. Her cancer has spread to her adrenal gland(s)-not sure if its both or just one.

Is the wait time usually this long?

It's sad watching her go downhill. In the last 2 months she's lost energy, lost her appetite (but is finally drinking Boost between meals), very tired all the time, she's freezing always, swollen hands and feet, sore feet, diarrhea for the past about 3 weeks, her sodium level is very low, she's had to quit all her activities because it's too much for her.

I don't know if all that is normal or not, hoping it is. I'm hoping to find some bit of hope here, because the literature I've been reading is not very hopeful.

Donna

Hello Donna and welcome

I am sorry you had need to find a site like this but very glad you found this one.

We have many members from Canada who might be able to answer your questions about wait time on treatments.

In the meantime please keep posting and let us know how your mom AND you are doing and how we might be able to help..

Warmly

Christine

Hi Donna, I am glad you found this wonderful place for information, support, help, encouragement and a place to vent. Everyone here is amazing.

I am also where you are. My mom was told in early Feb that she had lung cancer and 5 weeks and 5 days after that visit is when she had her first treatment. Alot of hurry ups and waits during that time.

I hope it gets going for her real soon. I have noticed that since treatment has been able to start I have been able to look at the LC differently. I dont look at the statistics or numbers as much, I focus on her treatments and her side effects. And most importantly I focus on HER.

Hi there Donna from a fellow Canadian. The waiting at the beginning is terrible. I waited I think at least a month from my biopsies/diagnosis before my initial consultation with oncologists. They are prioritized somehow (and I am guessing we do not really want to know how.) There are simply not enough resources available to keep up with the demand. The good news is though that I don't think that wait impacted me in a negative way. I had good results from first line treatment. See my medical history below. Have you been told what stage your mother is at? Where do you live? Feel free to send me a PM (private message) with any questions you might have. The waiting is so hard...just have faith that a treatment plan will be put in place and your mom will feel better than she does now. I wish somebody had told me this when I was waiting so you have come to the right place.

Take care

Sandra

My mom went to the Cancer clinic yesterday. Dr. very blunt, they have to be. Her incurable NSCLC is in left lung with spots on her right;and a large mass on her adrenal gland. They kept her to monitor her sodium level and begin treatment right away. So chemo began today.

I don't like the prognosis, so I'm just thinking she has longevity in her blood. She's 64, her mom died last year at 99, and her grandmother lived to 102. I gotta think positive.