Abnormal Scenario

ATM

Hey all, I'm new to this board. Today I have found out that my grandmother, age 79, may have lung cancer. She went into surgery today to repair 2 Abdominal Aorta Aneurysms. Before the surgery she took multiple xrays and tests and the doctor found a mass in the lung but was unsure whether it was cancerous or not; therefore the doctor continued with surgery today.

During the operation, the doctor saw a tissue the size of an egg near the anuerysm on a lymphnode. The doc said this may have been overlooked because the xrays were taken 3 weeks ago and it was not seen. I am assuming she has lung cancer and it has spread to the lymphnodes. She had chest xrays about 6 months ago that showed no signs of this cancer.

I am asking for any information or input on this scenario. I have read many sites and understand that this is most likely a bad case of lung cancer since it spread. But I am wondering if it could be a different type of cancer besides lung cancer.

Thank you,

ATM

ATM,

I am sorry to hear about your Grandmother. There is no sense in guessing what it COULD be. I would ask the Dr. and get their opinion on what it is. I would think that they did a biopsy on what they found and should be able to give you the answers you are looking for.

Prayers and good wishes for your Grandmother. God Bless.

ATM,

My father had an abdominal aneurysm. They run in families, so depending on your age, you need to have that checked out whenever you have a physical exam. They tell you to start checking it around 50, and I'm 45, so I'm starting soon. Anyway, I hope your grandmother recovers fine from that. I think there is a new surgical procedure that is less invasive than my Dad's surgery. He was in the hospital for three weeks.

This cancer could have started anywhere. There are other cancers that like to spread to the lungs. I'm sure they biopsied what they got, but she also needs a full body CT scan and bone scan. I would think the doctors are ordering that, but make sure they do.

Keep us posted. I hope she is a healthy and strong person, and that if it is cancer it's manageable. I think 78 is young! My Dad is now 74 and he seems like a young man to me.

God Bless,

Karen C. (Dave C.'s wife)

Thanks for the support everyone. I'm actually her grandson, only 20 - so I still got a ways to go.

The doctor told my mother that the cancer was most likely not from the lungs. And it was found on the lymph node. But they are doing more tests.

Thanks again everyone!

-ATM