Endobronchial Brachytherapy

Leela

Has anyone had any experience with this procedure? They are looking into it for my mom as her main tumor is blocking the bronchial tube to her right lung, making breathing difficult. Her left lung is completely clear thankfully.

Thanks,

Lisa

This weekend our expert on that is attending a wedding several states away from where she lives. I'm sure Ry will respond to this when she gets home on Mon. or Tues. Hope your mother can wait till then to make a decision.

Muriel

Thanks so much for the reply, Muriel. They have already scheduled the 1st of 3 treatments for next Wed. I still look forward to hearing from Ry - or anyone else - about their experiences - good or bad.

Thanks again!

Lisa

Lisa,

My husband had it done and had great results. From the first to second treatment the tumors shrunk so much that they were able to get the radiation source past the tumors the second time. I believe this treatment added many months to my husband's life.

It doesn't come without risks, though. Sometimes there can be complications and side-effects. I will be praying for your mom and you and your family. If you need additional information, please feel free to PM me. Take care.

Lisa-

Make sure you understand exactly what this procedure involves. You especially need to ask how long between having the wires placed down the nose until reaching the radiation room. For us the two procedures could not be done in the same place and John had to be taken by ambulance to the radiation center (a 20 minute ride).

Make sure someone is with your mom -- especially if she goes to a recovery room between wire placement and radiation. It is imperative you watch her so that no one moves those wires before the seeds are placed or the procedure can't be done.

Good luck with it.

Rochelle

Rochelle,

Thanks for the heads up. Thankfully both procedures will be done in the same facility. I will be sure that I stay with her every second that they allow it and will guard those wires! Because the hospital is not our local one, this was all set up by phone, so I was not there to hear everything and not able to ask those kind of questions - but you bet I will when we get there.

Thanks again for this very valuable info and the well wishes.

Lisa