Adderall --- fatigue

dannnie

I 've been taking Adderall for fatigue. It seems to be working alittle but the bad news is my insurance doesn't cover it because it isn't FDA approved for cancer. Its just for A

ADHD . Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it approved.

dannie

Concerta, like Adderall, is approved for ADHD and not for fatigue or chemo-related fatigue. And that "not FDA-approved for this indication" is one method insurance companies can use and often do, to not pay for a drug. Sometimes you can argue it with the insurance company, which usually involves having the doctor write a justification for the use of the drug in this unapproved indication. I've found the first big step is knowing who at the insurance company to talk to. With Kelly, we have found that one of the chemo nurses is our angel, she knows exactly who to call to get things moving for us. Talk to your dr's office and see if someone there can help and if the dr can write a justification for you for the drug and get the insurance company to pay for it.

Of course sometimes there is no rhyme or reason and the insurance company may actually pay for Concerta when they won't pay for Adderall, always worth a try, you just never know.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips!! I heard from my onc. today they're going to try Ritalin under depression and confusion not fatigue. My nurse says its all in the wording of appeals. I don't care how they word it as long as its pays because all I know is that it helps me with fatigue. I know Ritalin and Adderall is used the same but do they get the same results?? Thanks for listening !! Fighting cancer is hard to do anyway you look at it.

Dannnie

• 2 months later...

Dannie:

Sorry to be so late to the discussion, but I wondered if the Ritalin was helping. How much are you taking?

I actually have been on Adderall for 8 years to help my treatment resistant depression and counteract the fatigue from the antidepressants. I only found out about it being used for depression when I did some research and then found a Dr of neuropharmacology who knew about it and would prescribe it. I've been on the same meds for 8 years and it is the only thing that has helped the depression for any length of time.

So your insurance company should pay for it if they say as a treatment for depression. I take 40mg. a day, but I take the generic Adderall, not the Adderall XR (which probably works better but will cost you). The generic Adderall is really cheap, the lowest copay (mine's $10) on the insurance company step ladder.

My Mom has been so tired for so long and I didn't even think about asking her doctor about Adderall. Thanks for the idea. Maybe it will help her.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Kerri

this Might help Have you thought about trying for help from the manufacturer?? This is done quite frequently!!

Start here!

https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php

then; http://www.rxassist.org/

Also; https://www.rxhope.com/

Let me know if I can help out in any way!! Thoughts and Prayers!!!