doctors suck

Marlon

Oh man, I don't know where to start. It is becoming increasingly apparent that for the last 18 months, I have been barking up the wrong tree! The doctors at my mom's new hospital are now saying that it is looking more and more like Ovarian cancer after all because of all the signs. I've been reading all the websites and all the symptoms were listed. The pleural effusion, ascites, and bowel obstruction. It makes me so mad! Not once in this whole process did someone order a CA-125 test. My mom presented with right-sided pleural effusion as the only sign. There were no tumors on the CT scan. My mom had one of her ovaries removed in 1996 because of a cyst, but was never referred to or followed up by a gyno-oncologist. I wish that one year ago, we would have not wasted our time with that bonomi guy. I am grateful for this board, I really am, but now I think it was the wrong one.

GRRRRRRR......

Marlon,

I am so very sorry. The CA 125 is the only tumor marker test that has ever been an indicator of disease progression/regression for me. (Goes up when there is increased tumor load and down when tumor burden was relieved). I have an unusual form of lung cancer (Adeno with Bronchioloalveolar Features). There is a very high incidence rate of breast cancer (both before and after diagnosis of BAC) in those who have pure BAC or a BAC component to their cancer. And their is a link between the development of certain forms of breast cancer and ovarian cancer. I'm just hoping that your Mother is now in good hands, and that she is responsive to whatever new treatments she may be given. I have a neighbor who was diagnosed as late stage Ovarian Cancer....4 1/2 years ago. She is still on chemo, but she now walks 2 miles a day and is doing well. She did lose her hair, but she says it's a small price to pay to be able live the life she loves.

Wishing you and yours well,

Fay A.

Marlon,

My mom too may have been incorrectly diagnosed. When they did the biopsy it came back as probablly NSCLC , undifferentiated. She was treated for lung cancer. Later as time went on mom also got ascites, and on ultra sound abdominal tumors were found. A CA 125 test was done and the results were sky-high. Mom was started on chemo that would work on both lung cancer and ovarian. Unfortuately she passed away a few weeks after the first chemo. We will never know if she had Ovarian cancer that metatasized to the lung, or the other way around.

Faylene