My HAIR hurts!

MO_Sugar

Ok, I know this is a bit strange but my HAIR hurts! Actually, the skin on my head hurts from the PCI tratments but it had gotten so that when I put on my wig or a scarf, the movement of my hair hurts, lol. Dr. said I should start losing what hair I have in the next few days and I am here to tell you, I AM READY!!!! Can't imagine being GLAD to lose what hair has grown back but if it will stop this pain I am all for it. The other side effects I am feeling are major fatigue (gets worse every day) and a bit of a headache in the afternoon. I have gotten so I close my office door, turn off the lights, whip off my wig and lay my head down for a few minutes every afternoon, lol. I am so blessed to work for a great company that has been nothing but supportive through this whole process.

Any recommendations on how to stop my hair from hurting are Welcome, lol!

God Bless You All!!!

Mo Sugar, One suggestion for your problem ! lol........ get used to it ! Really, i had the same thing as well. It got really bad with me to where it was difficult to sleep because of my scalp hurting. It will eventually stop. I tried wearing a ball cap and my scalp hurt to bad to wear it. So hopefully youll just look at this as one of them small issues we deal with in our journey. This is kinda like one of the issues we discussed like the taste of the PCI. lol........ hope this helps some. Take care.

Greg

I was shocked at how really painful it was too, I had no idea that it was going to hurt so much (phyisically) when my hair fell out. Not just from the PCI but even the bunch I lost from chemo hurt a lot. I used to know it was time to comb out the dead stuff when it hurt really bad & that seemed to help a little.

One thing that did seem to help me with that last big of hair loss from the PCI, was I took a very long soak in the tub & rubbed a towel very vigerously over my head, basically exfoliating it I guess. It took the rest of my hair & a lot of dead dry skin off my head & then the pain finally stopped. Long soaks are always nice & it can't hurt to try it right? :D

Thanks Greg and Kat. I found a really soft winter hat today and tried it on, it felt sooooooo good on my poor head, lol! I think my co workers are going to have to get used to me in this hat every day, lol.

I will try the soaking and see it that helps. So far the skin on my head looks ok, not dry or flakey, it just HURTS, lol. My hair hasn't started to come out from the PCI but they tell me it will soon. 2 weeks to the day after my first chemo and it ALL came out in 1 day, lol. I was in hospital at the time because I had a reaction to the drugs and came out with no hair. My 4 year old grandson was a bit taken aback by that, lol. Greg. you are right, it is a SMALL price to pay and I only have 6 treatments left.

God Bless you,

MO

I don't remember how long it took before my hair fell out from the chemo, but what was kind of cool was that it kind of looked like I lost all my hair except for the gray hair (I got my first one when I was 17 so I have/had quite a few) I had buzzed my hair off short so I have a pretty stylin white flat top for a while, until the PCI took out the rest of it.

It long enough now to just look like really short hair although until my bangs are totally back I won't be happy with it :)

Hope yours stops hurting soon :)

Oh wow... I am soo glad you posted this. I start my PCI tomorrow. I had no idea that it would actually hurt when I begin to lose my hair. See, I must be the only one that didn't lose any hair during chemo (maybe?). I was surprised as the onc. said I would. I was a little peeved cause I had cut 15 inches off to make it easier when I did start losing it. I got over it cause I was assured I'd lose what hair I have left now. But hurting.. no one mentioned that one. Red.. scaly scalp a possiblity. I found this really really soft yarn and crocheted a hat for myself so I guess I'm ready. Again Thanks for sharing your experience so that I can be prepared.. know what to really expect.

wenna

p.s. Can anyone tell me if you have PCI done, if cancer does return, can you have another PCI done if you go into remission again? or is this just a one shot deal?

Well, lol, the pain has gone away cause it has started to all fall out.......again!

Wonder what color it will come in next time as????? I too started turning gray at 17 but I had colored it for so long I wasn't sure what color my "real" color was any more, lol. This came in WHITE!!!!! Sort of look like Susan Powter (sp) or will until tomorrow when it is all gone again, lol.

Rad. Dr. checked my scalp today and said it looked good, not red or anything but I am sure that is still to come. I have 4 treatments left and then we start the waiting game!!!

God Bless,

MO

I never had a scalp problem from my PCI, I was pretty surprised at how much skin sloughed off after that soak in the tub because I hadn't really noticed a problem with itching or anything.

They told me my hair might come back a different color, & even texture, curly to straight. It came back very salt & pepper (heavy on the salt) its kind of honey blonde now cause I colored it, partly to cover the gray. & partly so that as the roots start to grow out I'll have a sense of it actually growing cause it just seems to be growing soooo sloooooowly.

Kat, How long was it until it started coming in again after PCI? Mine was about 1 1/2 months after chemo and it was growing well till we started PCI.

My Mom, before she passed away, lost her hair several years ago from chemo and it came back brown and curly (had been lanky, dull gray before chemo). That lasted about a year and then she started going gray again, lol.

God Bless,

MO

I completed my PCI (18 treatments) on Sept. 30. I still havent got any hair growth at all except the back of my neck and the back of my head. My head really peeled badly after about my 10 th treatment. I used a over the counter petroleum based cream called Aquaphor it really worked well. Just dont apply anything prior to your treatments. As far as hair coming back goes i have to chuckle. I started losing my hair after the 4th round of Chemo. About the middle of August it started coming back. It was curly and all grey. My hair was blonde and straight before. lol.......... Well at any rate good luck with your treatments. Keep us posted.

Regards

Greg

Tomorrow is my last PCI treatment!!! I did lose just about all my hair except for that on the back of my head. No skin problems other than my forehead broke out this week end. Not red or anything, just a little itchy and a few small bumps. Dr. gave me some cream and said it should be gone in a few days.

Thanks for the information you all provided. Maybe by summer I will have a short and sporty hair do!!!

God Bless You all,

MO

• 4 weeks later...

It was comforting to read all your notes regarding PCI. I will start PCI in mid Jan 2004 & have been very nervous about the whole thing & trying to research as much about it as possible. Especially side effects. After hearing about the "Hair Pain" I will probably shave my head like I did before the chemo had a chance to cause it to fall out. Hopefully that will take care of that pain problem. It's great having this board available.