PCI for SCLC Extensive (w/ mets)

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Hi! I've been reading a lot on this board about PCI in cases of limited SCLC with complete remission. I don't know much about PCI, can anyone tell me if it is used by patients with extensive SCLC? Has anyone had PCI with extensive SCLC? Does the cancer always have to be in complete remission before PCI is an option?

Thank-you,

Chris

Hi Chris,

As you have or will find out, there are not any hard and fast rules in cancer treatment but ,in general, PCI is reccommended for LS-SCLC patients who achieve complete remission. In general, it is not reccommended for any other SCLC patients but has been and probably still is done on some ES-SCLC patients who acheive CR and some LS-SCLC patients who achieve near CR.

Sam

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Thanks for your help Sam! I suspected as much, but wanted to check it out just in case. I'm trying to familiarize myself about treatments available, and understand the context of uses.

Lynn

I read your post with amazement! Your father had SCLC with mets to the liver and he survived 20 years??

Please - please - tell me....what did they treat him with the first time? What are they treating him with this time? Where did he receive treatment? Did they do anything different for the liver mets?

I would be THRILLED beyond measure if God would see fit to give my Mike another 20 years....

Love and hugs,

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Lynn,

I would also like to know what specific treatments your Dad had in '83. Is his reoccurrence in lungs only, or elsewhere? Do Dr.s think it's a new SCLC, or a reoccurrence of the cancer of '83?

Thanks so much for sharing his inspirational story!

Hi

All I can remember from 1983 is he had combination chemo...the only specific drug I recall is Adriamycin.He was hit hard with chemo...at the time they did not have the anti- nausea meds either.

He now has SCLC with kidney mets...new or recurrence I don't know.We don't see onc until FRi...Had to wait 2 weeks :( for this appointment. His office told me they didn't think their records even went back that far.!!!

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Lynn,

I'm hoping all the best for your Dad and his renewed battle. You would think that 2 weeks would be long enough for them to track down his file! :roll: Your Dad is already a statistics beater, and therefore a huge inspiration to us all! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you two on Friday.