Job loss

Round2

I've posted here before under the name of eYuppie, but the system doesn't recognize the name, and I cannot remember the old password.

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I'm a 20-month survivor of Stage IV NSCLC with a met to the brain. The bad news is that on the same day in October, I learned at 8:30 a.m. that there is a new growth about the size of 2 grains of rice on the old lung tumor, and I was fired from my job at 11:00 a.m.

My faith is strong that I'm cured of cancer, knowing that there may be bumps on the road.

I'm trying hard to keep the stress of the job loss at bay, as I know that stress and anger make for an environment in which cancer can grow. There was a conflict in the office as to how to approach a large deal, and I very strongly voiced my belief that representations and disclosures needed to be made in the face of a superior who wanted the deal to happen no matter what. I know that I did what was the right thing to do, but I cannot get over the injustice of it all, as well as the hurt of betrayal.

After the day from hell, I took 8 weeks off to tend to client work and the jerks at the old office, and to prayerfully consider what I really want to do next. I know what I want to do in the next job, but finding it is very difficult in this economy.

If anyone has faced a layoff and a recurrence of cancer, and has some advice for me, I'll be most grateful.

Round2

Congratulations on having hung in there (I know the feeling), and my sympathies on your job loss.

I was fortunate in that I'd already taken early retirement before my dx so I didn't have that trauma to experience on top of everything else. I cannot imagine how horrid it must have been (Had I still been working, I would have been more devestated by the job loss than the diagnosis/prognosis).

What we do know is this: If you're strong enough to fight the dx/px, then you're strong enough to handle the job loss, too. :D

In other words: You go, girl!

Affectionately,

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--George Carlin