Jump to content

New member


Recommended Posts

Well it is great to meet you mwga. We have lots of great members here who are there for support, encouragement, as well as trying to answer any questions you may have. Please share a little more of your story with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, and welcome.

I posted my story at the lcsurvivor forum.

I was going to put a link to your story here for everyone's benefit, but couldn't find it in either LC SURVIVORS or MY STORY. Maybe there was a techincal glitch and you'll need to re-submit.

Looking forward to learning more about your journey. Aloha,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the post from mwga... it is in the LC survivors forum on Connies Survivor thread....


Joined: 20 Jan 2009

Posts: 3

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:53 pm Post subject: Two Time LC Survivor


I'm new to this site and saw your request for lung cancer survivors to share their stories, so here goes.

In Dec. 1998, I was diagnosed with lung cancer in my left lung. Treatment was chemo (Taxol and Carboplatin) a treatment every 3 weeks for 3 treatments and 6 weeks of radiation. Treatment was based on possiblity of cancer in the plueral wall as well as left lung and they wanted to reduce the size if that was the case. I finished the treatments in January, 1999 and was scheduled for surgery but had to wait because of low white cell count. Had surgery March 3, 1999 and had 1/5th to 1/4 th of my left lung removed. Surgeon said he got it all and stated that my chance of getting cancer again was no more than anyone else.

In October 2001, my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer and told that it had progressed so much that surgery was not an option. He was told that he could live for approximately a year, but he got pneumonia and died 6 weeks later.

The first of April 2004, I had severe stomach pains and my doctor decided to do a ctscan of my abdomen. I suggested that we might as well do one of my chest at the same time since I had not had one done on my chest for a couple of years. I still do not know why I had the stomach pains, but know that God works in mysterious ways. The ctscan of my chest showed a small mass on my right lung. A needle biopsy was done and was inconclusive. I had to wait a month for a petscan which showed "activity" in the upper lobe of the right lung and in the hylar node. At the end of May 2004, I had surgery to remove the upper lobe of my right lung. My doctor told me that this was a completely new cancer not related to the previous one at all but a new primary. I contracted double pneumonia while still in the hospital and ended up on a ventilator for 5 days, but recovered and after 24 days in the hospital was released. I stayed with my sister who cared for me and helped me to recuperate. In August 2004, I had another petscan as a follow up and it showed "activity" still in the hylar node. My oncologist said that this might be a result of the surgery (my surgeon had checked the hylar node when he removed the upper lobe), but that he didn't think we should take that chance. He suggested chemotherapy (gemcitabine and taxatere) which was administered 1 time per week for 3 weeks, then off a week, then another 3 weeks on, etc. for 6 months. I lost my hair again, but that is such a small thing in comparison to the larger picture that I was not affected by loss of hair. I bought a beautiful auburn wig (the color my hair had been when I was younger), which caused my sister to comment, "You look just like you did 20 years ago." I don't know what I would have done without her. She is a great sister.

As a result of the chemo, I ended up on oxygen 24 hours per day toward the end of the 6 months. I had pneumonia again after finishing chemo and then a month later I had pneumonia again. I decided that I would not be on oxygen 24 hourse per day for the rest of my life and worked to build my lungs back up so I could get off of it, which I did about 8 months later.

I have been cancer "free" now for over 4 years and remarried a year and a half ago to a wonderful man who lost his wife to lung cancer. We enjoy life together and make each day count. He was an avid golfer and at 70 years of age, I started learning to play golf. I enjoy playing and we play 3 or 4 times per week.

There is life after lung cancer, but you have to think positive, have faith that you will survive, and be determined to live a normal life and not dwell on the past.

If I give hope to even one person, I will be happy for hope is the first step to recovery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see it now — guess I was looking for a new thread. Here's the link:

http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewto ... 957#380957

Wow! Left lung surgery in 1999, then right lung surgery in 2004, with chemo both times. The decision to have that second chemo I think was smart, although it gave you a rough time. But look at you now — amazing!

If you create a profile to appear under all of your messages, you can include a link to your story there like I and others have done. Aloha,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.