My pop

briesgo17

My pop is (73) years old and he was diagnosed with Stage IV adenocarcinoma in August,2008. No symptoms other than a loss of apetite and the losing of weight. He lost 30lbs from April, 2008 to August, 2008. He had six cycles of Carbo/Taxol. He has mets to his adrenals and small lesion in his liver and pancreas. In the CT scan of October 30, 2008 it showed substantial shrinkage of his primary lung but progression in his adrenals. In the new year he was switched to Alimta and had three cycles when the CT scan of 2/27/08 revealed lung stable but progression to adrenals and further lesions on liver and pancreas. He started on Tarceva 3/5/9. Today he is on his seventh day and he woke up swollen from his face. The swelling presented itself with firmness in and around his adams apple under his chin. I called his doctor and he said as long as there was no pain, difficulty swallowing or shortness of breath he did not want to discontinue medicine. His rash is minimal on day seven. Anyone out there who has had similar reaction to Tarceva please respond.

Hi there. I am sorry to hear about your dad. I was on Tarceva for a number of months but did not have a reaction like that. If the doc isn't worried though and there is no pain involved then I wouldn't be too worried either. Sometimes these side effects present themselves pretty strong and then they taper off to something more manageable. I hope that is the case for your dad.

Sandra

Welcome to the board. I am sorry about your father. Are you sure it isn't vena cava syndrome rather than a reaction to the Tarceva? If his tumor is pressing on the vana cava (the blood vessel to the heart) it will make the face and neck swell. You might want to ask the doctor.

Rochelle

Thank you Sandra and Ry, I appreciate your responses. Just to be on the safe side I will take my pop to urgent care. Though his Oncologist did not find an urgency this vana cava possibility is frightening.

Ry, what other symptoms should I look for if it is vana cava?