Pictures - Gulf of Mexico Sunset 4-3-09

brokenarrow

Within a few minutes I got real lucky and captured multiple great shots. From our position in the gulf, within a few miles of land, our sunsets are over land in the distance. Specifically, Fourchon, LA. In each of the photos, you can see the water tower in Fourchon and several of the buildings that are elevated on posts. If you zoom in on the pictures you can see utility/antennae towers and cranes. I'm posting these as thumbnails. Click on any one and it will take you to the site where I have them stored and there, you can click the "full size" button to get the full size version, (in case you'd like to download any of them). :wink:

This first one, provides the optical illusion that the sun is hovering beneath the clouds. We all know that the sun is many millions of miles from the earth, but this photo makes you question that.

th_IMG_2380.jpg

th_IMG_2391.jpg

th_IMG_2399.jpg

Just checked in before going to bed Will and I can see the photos are awesome. I'll check them out further tomorrow and may even post my new orchid slideshow. I've emailed it but will have to see if I can figure out how to send it here.

Nite all.

Judy in Key West

Good pictures Will

I take it you leave out of Fuchon when you go off shore. Do you go by boat or chopper. I'm thinking boat right there unless you leave out of Houma or somewhere else. My son often leaves from there and some times he does shore jobs there as well. Right now he is out of Intercoastal City.

Anyway great pictures just hope the weather doesn't act up so much again this week out that way.

Thanks Y'all.

Patti, I'll try to do better but sometimes there's just no time for many days or even weeks. Good to see you too.

Lily, actually right now I'm boating out from Grand Isle. I recently got a new camera and it has 40x zoom on it, so this picture of Fourchon is actually taken from south of Grand Isle.

Something I hadn't noticed until last evening, in the last picture, if you zoom in an look to the left of the water tower, you can see the infamous highway to the gulf. Our previous governor and the current one have both had to defend it's construction. It's a major elevated highway that serves few residents but is HUGE to the oil and gas industry, which is a major tax contributor to the state of Louisiana. Only a small section of it can be seen in the picture where it gets about 80 feet high over the heavily used bayou LaFourche.

Oh Wow! Will , I finally got time today to follow your pics to photobucket and view them full page. I was rewarded with shots of the rigs as you said but didn't make out the highway. They really are awesome. I'm jealous of your zoom lens but do you use auto or manual settings? I'm a boob with manual settings. Great job, however you do it.

Judy in Key West

"jaminkw"]Oh Wow! Will , I finally got time today to follow your pics to photobucket and view them full page. I was rewarded with shots of the rigs as you said but didn't make out the highway. They really are awesome. I'm jealous of your zoom lens but do you use auto or manual settings? I'm a boob with manual settings. Great job, however you do it.

Judy in Key West

LOL, no, I hae used the manual stuff and continue to experiement with that but these and most of what I take is using automatic settings.

Thanks for the compliments.