Hives!?

ts

Like I needed something new. The docs don't think it is related to radiation therapy.

Maybe from finally getting rejected from private disability? Not that I was really surprised. Decision that detection was a pre-existing condition, by 3 weeks prior to my coverage start date. I have to agree, based on the disclaimer language part of the contract I received after I sent in all the paperwork and asked 4 docs to do their parts. Couldn't they have told me upfront and saved us all a bunch of effort?

These itchy bumps should go away on their own, fairly quickly, right? No sign of bites or infection.

ts, I used to get hives terribly. Mine were related to food allergies, one of which is soy. Don't pooh pooh it. It's worth looking at anything new you are eating or supplements you are taking (supplements can be the culprit with wheat, dairy or soy allergies). Also, food allergies can come on anytime in life so don't figure because you've always eaten it, it's o.k.

Try taking Benadryl for relief from the hives. It can make you drousy but hives can make you crazy with the itching. I remember.

Judy in Key West

• 4 weeks later...

I have read that hives are a systom of lung ca. You can get them from a toothache and or earache. Google it you will be surprised about hives.

Guest Windsongs

Sorry to hear about your hives.

I received radiation to relieve the pain from my newly formed bone mets in my left shoulder and right pelvic area. Hives appeared a few days after the one time radiation blast to the two areas.

No diet, soap, clothes, food or environment changes we could think of or notice. My radiologist attributed the hives to the radiation but of course was not 100% sure.

Please use your doctor's advice and not what I am about to write. I was given anti-histamine and it did get rid of them eventually. It took a few days. That's my story and only my story!

Good luck with your hives.

Lorrie

Thanks for the thoughts. I finished radiation with hives in check - the spots are fading slowly and not itchy. I didn't take anything but did use anti-itch cream a couple of days. Just stubborn about not taking Benadryl even though I don't know if I react adversely to it.

FYI - the last week and a half of radiation really messed up my esophagus. Kind of like something was always stuck in my throat / choking me. Eating was not fun and I got a bit of aversion therapy to most everything (but ice cream...) I'm two and a half weeks out now and still get these weird contractions in my throat but finally it doesn't hurt to swallow. I'm still not very hungry or interested in food. Food used to be one of my obsessions - reading about, cooking, eating out, discussing...now, I can't even come up with something I want to eat. I'm assuming this will change one of these days. And the fatigue will end or at least subside as I get more active...fingers crossed.

Guest Windsongs

Glad to hear the hives are under kind of under check now.

Radiation I found takes a while to settle down and your description of perhaps the after effects are happening. Weeks went by with mine before any semblance of them were gone. But the pain is gone and I am so grateful.

Take care there and keep on smiling! Smiling seems to help me get through a hard moment or two at times.

Keep up with the wonderful moderators and people on this site too. They are truly angels with such helpful advice. Love em.

:)