Doctors Test Virus That Attacks Lung Cancer

Barb73

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... 1&nav=9Tai

ARTICLE:

. . . . . . . . .

Doctors test virus that attacks lung cancer

Updated: July 23, 2009 10:56 PM EDT

Columbus, OH - Doctors hope it could be a cure for lung cancer and it's all starting just a state away. They're using a virus to attack cancer cells.

Doctors at Ohio State's James Cancer Hospital are testing a treatment to fight lung cancer by giving the patient a virus.

Linda Ward is the first US patient receiving the experimental treatment. She was a smoker for 45 years and her parents and sister died of lung cancer. The cancer has spread throughout her body and Ward knows the odds are against her.

"Lung cancer is not one that (doctors) have had much success in treating," Ward said.

A Canadian researcher has found a way to reprogram a stomach virus in a laboratory so that it attacks lung cancer cells instead of the patient. The virus treatment is called Reolysin.

Doctors in Ohio believe Ward is a prime candidate for the treatment.

"We're very enthusiastic about this project," Dr. Miguel Villalona said. "It was modified in a way that it would be harmful to bad cells and it would do nothing to good cells."

Reolysin is given like chemotherapy.

"Anything that goes through your veins will spread throughout your body," Villalona said.

The virus searches out cancer cells, latches on and fades away. Dr. Villalona says it may also boost the effectiveness of traditional chemotherapy.

"If we can prolong the life of the patient, we already will have accomplished something," Villalona said.

For now, it's only for a mutated form of lung cancer but researchers are hopeful that Reolysin will work for the 30 percent of patients who don't respond to other treatments

"I just thought, what have I got to lose," Ward said. "I mean, that could be my cure."

Doctors want to test the treatment for safety and effectiveness on three dozen U.S. patients. The work will take at least one year. They are also testing a virus to kill brain cancer.

Lung cancer info from Ohio State's James Cancer Hospital

Clinical trial

. . . . . . . . .

(13 Eyewitness News, wthr.com, July 23, 2009)

Disclaimer:

The information contained in these articles may or may not be in agreement with my own opinions. They are not being posted with the intention of being medical advice of any kind.