Supplements, etc.--What is everybody doing, if anything?

chloesmom

Would like some opinions on what you're doing regarding supplements, vitamins, minerals, etc. I'm finding myself, now that treatment is over, needing to know I'm doing something to stay healthy, so here goes. I take:

multivitamin

antioxident combination, this includes COQ10

selenium

voixx (COX 2 inhibitor)

extra Vitamin C

calcium (for bones)

tamoxifen (to help prevent breast cancer recurrance)

effexor (to help with side effects from tamoxifen)

Plan to start with green tea capsules soon also.

I am also trying to eat a healthy diet including lots of fruits and vegetables without a lot of meat.

I just can't stand doing nothing-this is my second bout with cancer, having had breast cancer two years ago, and I need to feel like I'm being pro-active, but not over the top with all this......What are you folks all doing?

Actually my diet is about the same as before diagnosis. I always did eat fruit and veggies quite a bit anyway. I try to take a multivitamin daily, but forget a lot of the time. Diet soda, splenda instead of sugar, but seem to eat more sweets now that I don't smoke. Oh well, everything in moderation seems to be the best for me.

Guest Michael

Selenium: A powerful trace mineral. Several studies being done on cancer prevention and those who have cancer. 200mcg a day costs about 6 cents. Don't exceed 1000 mcg. Should not be taken by anyone with heart, kidney or liver disease or who is pregnant.

Mushrooms: They have the ability to enhance the body's immune system T cells that seek and destroy cancer cells. Shitake, enoki, reishi and maitake mushrooms have all been reported to have anti-cancer properties.

D-gluaric acid: A phytochemical found in broccoli, brussels sprouts and califlower has shown evidence in clinical studies of reducing the incidence of cancers of lung, liver and breast. Is also available as a supplement combined with calcium d-glucarate.

Genistein: An antioxidant found is soybeans, may have an inhibiting effect on the growth of lung cancer cells.

Green Tea: Contains a substance known as epigallocatechin-3-gallate (or EGCg) which has been found by Swedish research team to cut off blood vessels that feed cancerous tumors.

Inositol hexaphosphate (IP6): A form of B vitamin inositol found naturally in whole grains, beans, lentils and nuts has shown that it may not only shrink tumors but also prevent tumor growth.

Green Phyters: Supplement which contains spirulina, chlorella, barley juice, wheat grass, alfalfa leaf and chlorophyll. Powerful wonder foods in a tablet. 100 tablets + $8.40 at Vitamin Shoppe and other stores.

Best Veggies: Broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, pumpkin, squash and yams. Green plants contain chlorophyll which has been a known cancer fighter.

Raw Almonds: Eat 10 every day. They contain laetrile which has anti cancer properties.

Water: Avoid tap water. Drink spring or steam distilled water only.

Enemas: Take coffee enema with one ounce of fresh wheatgrass to a cup of liquid. Do daily to help eliminate toxins. Also, add lemon juice and liquid garlic with water. You can alternate these two types of enemas. Do a search on coffee enemas. Widely used by alternative clinics to treat cancer.

Food: Mostly plant based diet with little fruit or fruit juice. Include grains, nuts, seeds, wheat, oat, bran,unpolished brown rice, Legumes (especially lentils chickpeas and red beans). Millet cereal is a good source of protein. Eat seven serving of whole grain foods a day. Eat as many tomatoes as you can. AVOID: peanuts, junk food, processed refined foods, saturated fats, salt, sugar & white flour. Many people with cancer have achieved good results with a macrobiotic diet.

Coenzyme Q10 & Coenzyme A: Supports the immune systems detoxification of many dangerous substances.

These are just a few recommendations. Do as much research as possible on Nutrition. Nutrition and a strong immune system is crucial in fighting cancer.

Hey! My post is gone.

In addition to the above, I would just add to the list garlic and flax seed or flax seed oil capsules. When my husband was doing chemo he also added iron to his list of things to help build his blood count back up after treatment.

If you read through the other posts you will get lots of ideas. I know Hebbie has posted a lot of good things.

• 3 weeks later...

I go to a doctor who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine who is also an M.D., specializing in cancer. I take:

Custom blend chinese herbal tea (nasty tasting) containing many things like, ganoderma, astragalus, polyphenols, mushroom, licorace root, ginseng, co-10, and other traditional chinese herbs which I don't have the translations for; traditional vitamins (A,C,D,E,Selenium,Zinc); green tea capsules; Mega Soy; modified citris pectin; MGN-3; resveratroI; IP6 with inositol; tumeric (curcumin); cholestine; celebrex; juice plus; Omega 3; worm wood (artesimian); Thisilyn.

My herbologist also told me to avoid sugar, as cancer feeds off of it and to have organic dairy. And the usual - eat a lot of veggies. I take fruit supplements to avoid the sugar in too much fruit.