Taxotere Therapy

Aileen

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any info on Taxotere Therapy, my sister was diagnosed with terminal cancer July 2008. She was given 3 months to a year, thankfully with a lot of determination by her she is still with us. We know about the side effects of chemo and radiotherapy as she has had both and coped quite well, she has been offered this treatment by her oncologist but she says the success rate is poor and we are worried about the quality of life that she will have if she goes ahead with this treatment.

Aileen-

Sorry to hear about your sister...I will keep her in my prayers. About 6 weeks ago, I lurked around looking for answers to this question-taxotere or what-basically. The oncologist didn't give us a choice at the time, but he did tell us the success rate is about 20% or less. Well, my mom went on it, and I am sorry to say, it did nothing for her. You do have to remember tho' that everyone is differentmy mom has been fighting this battle for close to 3 years. She did suffer all the side effects that one gets from chemo, and about 2 weeks after she lost all her hair-she was taken off taxotere. My suggestion is to look around for any possible research studies your sister can be a part of. People are monitored much more closely, and with some of the new stuff that is out, the side affects are minimal. Check the "Clinical Trial" portion of this forum-some great info. there...

Lots of love and hope,

Kim

Yes, the taxol stuff is especially strong with lots of side effects I think.

And it is common for people to have allergic reactions to it when they start the drip. So if your sister opts for taxotere, be absolutely certain that someone is there to watch for allergic reations. Sometimes the nurses get busy watching too many patients.

Just a few drops of taxol made me stop breathing. Luckily the nurse was watching me closely and stopped the drip right away. Everyone started yelling Code Blue, and two doctors came running. The doctors gave me massive dose of benadryl, started shaking my shoulders and yelled " breathe dam-it" and I started breathing again. Anyway, that was my only experience with taxol and something I'll never forget.

LC is such a crummy diagnosis. I wish your sister the best of luck in her treatment.

Barb

After two treatments of taxotere and another chemo drug my turnors are gone. Onc. gave me two more treatments of taxotere and then a PET. PET results were excellent. No more chemo!!! I'm on a target drug now. I did have a rash and all the other side effects of chemo with taxotere. Best wishes to you and your sister. I will pray extra hard that your sister will have the same results that I had. Richard

I had taxotere in the beginning in combination with cisplatin. It is a rough one and caused lots of side effects, but the only lasting one for me is that I still have numb toes after 2 years. I think it is one of the drugs that really did some serious tumor shrinking for me. My doctor is considering using it again if my current treatment fails. Everyone is different, and sometimes it's hard to weigh if something with a lot of tough side effects is worth giving a try.

Good luck to you and your sister,

Anne

Thank you for your responses, they have been very informative and I hink that my sister will go for the treatment but not till the beginning of the year. She wants to wait until after christmas, we are looking at it that if treatment too bad she can stop it. Will let you know how it goes. Thank you again.

Will be think of you all.

Aileen

"blaze100"]

And it is common for people to have allergic reactions to it when they start the drip. So if your sister opts for taxotere, be absolutely certain that someone is there to watch for allergic reations. Sometimes the nurses get busy watching too many patients.

Barb

Barb is right. Make sure someone watches close during that first IV. I had a reaction to Taxotere too, and was well on my way to a cardiac arrest when they got me unplugged from it.