Heartburn/reflux symptoms

chloesmom

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I saw a post recently from someone who mentioned heartburn as commonplace after thoracotomy.

Is this something common that happens after treatment for lung cancer? Is it attributed to lobectomy, chemo, or stress, or what?

The reason I ask, is because for the last year or so, I've had acid reflux. Not all the time, but it bothers me when I'm exercising, or active doing something. I just got around to talking with my GP about it and had to have a stress test. Did fine with the stress test and I'm on prescription strength Prilosec right now to see if that will heal a possible inflammation. If that doesn't work, we will be doing an endoscope, etc, to get to the bottom of the cause.

Of course, I think the worst because that's the consequence of being a cancer survivor, so I want to make sure we figure out what this really is.

My husband says it might just be happening because I'm "getting older." I don't know, but I'd like to know what experience you've all had with acid reflux or heartburn.

Thanks,

Cindy

I had already been on omeprazole (generic name for Prilosec) for years before my surgery, so I have no idea if the surgery would have made a difference. Omeprazole has just completely eliminated acid reflux for me ever since I've been on it. It worked well for Rose, too, during her chemo.