Let's start a memory thread

I just found something today that made me smile and feel so very proud of my husband and I wanted to share it with you. As some of you know he worked for JPL/NASA for 42 years. I found a certificate award to him from Washington D.C. and reads as follows:

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration presents the

APOLLO ACHIEVEMENT AWARD to Donald P*******.

In appreciation of dedicated service to the nation as a member of the team which has advanced the nation's capabilities in aeronautics and space and demonstrated them in many outstanding accomplishments culminating in Apollo II"s successful achievement of man's first landing on the moon, July 20, 1969

Signed in Washington D.C. by J. Paine Administrator NASA

I'm sooooooooooooo proud!

now go to the hobby store and get an inexpensive Frame come home frame that and HAng it on the wall with PRIDE!!! :wink: Hugs and prayers tonite Michelle!!

I was on my way to bed then stopped to check this board. Now I find myself with aother of those special memories that I want to share.

Johnny was very talented. He taught himself to play the guitar, not just strum but pick out a song. You could almost hear the guitar talk. He also had the most wonderful voice and was able to write some beautiful songs. He would never write the words down for fear of someone stealing his work and gettting it published. When we first met everyone that heard him thought he would make it big in country music someday. Life seemed to get in the way of that just like it did us. Anyway on to the special memory/

Johnny had told me that he didn't have a guitar any more. When my niece heard about that she bought one and sent it to him. She said thinking about him without a guitar was like thinking about him without and arm.

One day not long after he go the guitar I called him on the phone. We spoke for a minute but the conection was bad so he told me to hang up and call him back. I did as he asked.

When he answered the phone he didn't say anything. Instead he just started singing a song. When I heard the first line the tears started. The song was about us. He told about our love and how special it was. Then it told of our parting and him moving away. I wish I could remember all of the words but I only heard it twice. I know one line " I came up here to get a brand new start but I need you here to mend my broken heart." He sang the whole song and when he finished we were both crying. I asked if he had writtent the song for me and he said yes.

He tried one time to sang that song for me but the medication was making him shaky and he had trouble remembering the words. Later I saw a vidio at his brother's house with him singing that song. I thought my heart would stop. I was suppoed to go back and copy that tape but things happened where I didn't get to . Later his niece didn't want to share it. I still haven't convenced her. She just says the tape is her dads

There are so many of those special memories and sometimes they make me laugh but others they make me cry. That is so funny because that is what loving Johnny has always been like. I always want to laugh and cry at the same time. I wrote in my journal after his death that I know how an addict must feel because the more I had of my Johnny the more I have always wanted.

That was just beautiful and thank you for sharing. I wish we had more memory posters on this thread because I feel like it helps reading about others and their loving memories.

I hope that you can somehow convince his niece to at least just "copy" the video and send it to you. Please keep trying.

My thoughts are with all of us who have lost a loved one during this holiday season. With the help of each other, we'll get thru it.

So....keep posting those beautiful memories!

• 2 weeks later...

Today is Thanksgiving and my plan was to do a celebration of life today in honor of my husband with our son. WELL....during the preparation I discovered that my funnels and baster were "missing" :-o Then I remembered how my husband always used to "borrow" these things for god only knows what and I would have to replace them. Well, today was a day when they weren't there when I needed them and it actually made me smile because of all the little "tit tats" we used to have.

Anyway, it's almost time to carve the turkey and have our celebration of life, but I wanted to post this memory first. Hope you're all having a wonderful loving day!