Taxotere

Joe B

Hi all,

I met with the oncologist yesterday, we are switching to Taxotere for 3 rounds (every 3 weeks). Then, the good Lord willing, I will be completed with my treatments for good.

The question I have is whether anyone has experience with taxotere by itself? If so, what are the effects of this drug? What can I expect as I go through treatments? I know the Cisplatin & etoposide (VP16) made for a pretty tought 6-8 days after administration. I am hoping taxotere wil be a little more "kinder & gentle" (in the words og G Bush senior)

Joe

Hey Neighbor, Happy New Year. John took taxotere following carbo/taxol. He had to take steroids for water retention so make sure they give you those. He had lots of cramping from it, but found the more he drank the better. Unfortunately, he didn't get any result from it and was switched to gemzar. I hope it works well for you.

All the best~

Rochelle

Joe, Lucie was treated with taxotere along with cisplatin for about 6 rounds. It worked well. The side effects attributed to taxotere: (not all at once, thank God): fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, thrush mouth, skin irritation, fingertip and toetip necrosis (including blackening of the nails), hair loss, plugging of eyedrains so plenty of tearing. Not everyone gets all these, and hopefully you won't, but we ran the gamut. It was worth it, though. Best to you. Blessings. Take a sleigh ride around Belle Isle for us. Don

Joe,

Taxotere causes allergic skin repsonses, as well. It's part of the reason they give us Dexamethazone twice a day before chemo and the day after chemo. Also, I was given an extra bag of IV fluid after the chemo to help with dehydration, and it has helped.

Hope it works well for you. I have scans next week, so won't know how thngs went until the results are in.

Wishing you well,

Fay A.

Thanks Fay, let me know how the scans go..... I feel like I am in the home strech now... hopefully I sail thru these last few taxotere treatments.... The drug you mentioned receiving prior to treatments, was that the steriod component? I will be taking decradron (sp?) b4 & after. He is tapering me off slower, since I had some significant irritability, & emotional downtimes when coming off the IV steriods after the two rounds of Cisplatin & Etoposide.

Joe

Joe,

Dexamethazone is the generic equivalent of Decradon. I like to refer to my reactions to the steroids as my "Dexamethazone Meltdown". It happens every time I take steroids, and I hate it. I just warn anyone who may have to spend a few minutes in my company to please excuse me in advance. I also ask them to try to remind me that it's the drugs/lack of drugs that are turning me into Mr. Jeckles EVIL sister. :( Sometimes it helps. And sometimes it doesn't. We just have to learn to forgive ourselves as easily as we do others.

We're going to get through this, Joe, and to the other side of it, and then we'll see what there is to be seen.

Best Wishes to you and Gina and the girls.

Fay A.

I did two cycles of Taxotere in the summer, and it was a dream, especially after the Cipsltin/VP-16. I went to lunch after my infusions and then came back to work. The steroids kept me up at night for a few days each time, but I had no other ill effects. Of course, I only had two treatments, and the really unfortunate part is that it didn't work. But at least I didn't have any trouble with it. Good luck to you.

Becky

Thanks Fay.. I can relate...It took me two rounds to put 2+2 together.... both times on the Tuesday following the chemo I just felt so cranky & down and didnt know why....I finally asked the Onc about it, and he said "oh yeah, thats probably from the steriods"

Becky & Rochelle- I really will not know whether the Taxotere works or not- I have no measurable disease (since I was fully resected & have no mets) I have to just go on faith that if anything microscopic is left it will be zapped.

I am REALLY ready for this to be over- the Cisplatin/ Etoposide was worse than surgery- or radiation.....