Does chemo have to make you sick to work?

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Hello All,

I might just be paranoid, but is it possible to have a round of chemo (Cisplatin & Etoposide) and not get sick at all from it? My step-dad took all the anti-nausea pills he was supposed to, and he didn't feel at all sick. It's now been 10 days since his last chemo day. This was his second round of chemo. The first time he took all the anti-nausea pills but he was pretty sick for 3 days. I'm just wondering because I didn't know that 'feeling just fine' was a possibility after chemo. Could it mean that the chemo isn't working??

Thanks everyone,

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Katie,

Thanks so much for your quick reply! It's such a relief to know that the chemo can still work even if it doesn't make you sick. I'm glad your dad is having a much easier time on the second line of chemo. Now that I know the chemo side-effects are not necessary, I can enjoy my step-dads good health without worrying about it :D

Dear Chris,

I was on the same chemo your step dad is on, and I never got sick either. I also know several others in this same boat. So, here I am soon to be 8 years later. SOMETHING WORKED!!!! :wink: Not everyone gets sick. You really don't hear as many bad stories now days with all the New Anti-nausea drugs that go with chemo's. Good luck and I sure hope he continues to do well with his treatments.

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Hi Chris,

My husband has had 5 rounds of chemo so far. The first 3 rounds he had hardly any side-effects. He was a little tired, took anti-nausea drug just to be safe. After the first day of each round (a "round" being 3 days of treatments) he even felt better than usual. I think that is because he gets steroids on the first day. After those first 3 rounds he had a CAT scan which showed "significant" improvement in both his lung and liver. So, I guess that proves chemo can work even if you aren't really sick from it. Also, my husband didn't loose his hair until after the 4th round of treatment. As you go along you may find that your step-Dad is feeling worse. I'm told its because the chemo has a cumulative effect. My husband has had some vomiting, and has low blood counts, he naps a lot. All-in-all, chemo hasn't been the horror I expected. Still would rather not be going through it, but we have good days as well as bad days.

Connie & Candy,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I feel much better knowing that others have gone through the same treatment with similar results as my step-dad. I really appreciate the support I've found on this SCLC board. Thank you all.

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Connie & Candy,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I feel much better knowing that others have gone through the same treatment with similar results as my step-dad. I really appreciate the support I've found on this SCLC board. Thank you all.

Hi Chris,

My mom hasn't gotten sick at all through her now 4th round of treatment~ Carboplatin and VP-16. She is very tired after the treatment is complete, she needs a nap for a couple of days, but then the time after that she does great. She has never thrown up. And her last scans after only 2 rounds of treatment showed significant tumor shrinkage!!:) So no, it doesn't have to make you sick to work.:)

Guest bessb

I too have been very fortunate with my chemo treatments. I had no nausea, a little fatigue about 3 days after the treatment otherwise really pretty good. I think it all depends on the individual and how the chemo affects your body.

Chris,

I'm so glad that your step-dad isn't sick. That is a blessing.. My Mom was always saying to herself.. with all the drugs out.. something should help.. but my whole family doesn't take medication well. I throw up cold medicine... :roll: Just depends on the person.

Glad to hear he is doing so well!

Laurie

My husband went through three different treatments the first made him ill, the 2nd, taxotere was very hard on him. When he went to the 3rd, he lost most of his hair but not all. I thought it must not be working because he didn't lose all his hair and he wasn't sick. I just knew it would be more bad news, but no this was the one that worked the best (gemzar). So you see, you can't tell from how you feel.

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Thanks everyone!!

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who wondered if the chemo had to make you sick to work. My step-dad lost his hair after the first chemo round, but he feels good, just tired. I wish it was this easy for everyone.