Chemo and then radiation

Guest daddysgirl

Guest daddysgirl

My father started chemo back in May, and now we were just informed last Monday that it is no longer working and he has been switched to radiation. He has already had 3 sessions (its everyday for 6 weeks). Unfortunatly, my parents keep me in the dark about things and I have to pry for information. He has been feeling horrible, coming home from work and going right to bed, vomiting more now then what he did throughout the 7 1/2 months of chemo, and can barely eat which he never really had a problem with. I was just wondering, I have always heard that radiation is easier to go through then chemo, but did anyone seem to get worse? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

With the little bits and pieces you are getting it would be hard to give you a honest answer. I don't know of many that vomit from radiation, but I'm sure some do! When did he get taken off chemo? How old is your dad? I'm sorry if I sound like I am being nosey, but these kinds of questions can help us, help you. What type of lung cancer does he have? How is his over all health? Do you know what stage your dad is with his lung cancer?

Yes, radiation treatments are usually everyday for 5 to 6 weeks in time. I had 36 sessions along with chemo.

God bless.

I ,too had both chemo and radiation. Neither was any fun. With the radiation a lot repends on where they focus the beam. Some people get esophageal burns that make it hard to eat and swallow. I did not experience that, but I did have some external burns that took a long time to heal. I lost about 30 pounds during the process, so nutrition is very important. Good luck

Cyn

Guest daddysgirl

My dad is 48, has stage IV. He has has 4 hour sessions of chemo every three weeks for 8 months and now has had a month of radiation everyday which will be for 6 weeks.

HI Daddysgirl,

Young or old noone wants there family members or friends to get any kind of cancer. I'm sorry my dear you have to join us and be here.

Giving your post some thought, Do you know the area your dad is being radiated?

How do you feel about your mom and dad "keeping you in the dark" about your dad's health problems? And how are you doing with all that is going on with your dad? My dad was my best friend too, and I was 17 when my dad passed away. (NOT SAYING YOUR DAD IS GOING TO PASS AWAY!) But, I know when I was going through this with my dad, my mom and my sister, I think I would have been pretty upset if I didn't know all there was to know of what was going on. Even WAY back when I was 17 in 1970 I knew all of what was going on with my dad. So, that's why I ask how you are doing? This effect all of us soooooo deeply. And not only does the cancer patient have fears but so do we caregivers.

I just have never heard of anyone vomiting from radiation treatments. At least not from being radiated in the chest area. My sister did vomit a few times when she had WBR. But never when she had radiation to the chest. I never got sick from my radiation either. Just a little skin burn and a little hard to swallow, but that was it for me. I didn't even get tired, but I know a lot of people that do.

GOD BLESS, and Stay with us.

So sorry to hear that your dad is feeling so yucky!

I had chemo and radiation at the same time, and towards the end of radiation, there were several days that I would get up off the table and run in the bathroom to vomit......but that may have had more to do with the chemo/dehydration than it did with the radiation. Is it possible that he is dehydrated? You might want to have your folks mention to the oncologist that he is vomiting and see if they have any suggestions.

My thoughts are with you and your family to get through radiation quickly and that he feels better soon!!!