Is this Normal?

CamperJones

My Mom received her first Chemo and along with that she is getting anitbiotics and Decadron. She is now VERY lethargic and barely eats. I have offered to get her ANYTHING she but she says that all her food and drinks are now awful tasting. She used to enjoy coffee and Pepsi but now she HATES it. Before the Chemo she was alert despite everything but since this first Chemo she seems a little confused and catnaps all day long. She seems different and although she is 71 she has a memory like you wouldn't believe before the Chemo and now she is like in a permanent fog and her short term memory is clouded. I wouldn't call it depression because she will interact and talk to you but she acts sleepy all the time. She gets very aggitated with me if I try and ask the doctors questions and if I follow them outside she thinks I am keeping something from her so I am looking to you folks that have gone through this to say if I should expect this or point it out to the doctors. They don't really notice the difference as they don't know her and when they see her early in the morning they are probably just thinking she is just tired from being woke up!

Thanks so much for your support and help! Hugs, Linda

Hi Linda,

First of all there is a real and present "condition" of cancer treatment. It is called chemo "fog". The fact that nothing tastes right or the same to her is COMPLETELY normal. The fact that she seems a little confused is normal. Mike is younger (52) and his short term memory is shot. Some days are better than others. Today he was going to call our eye doctor to set up an appointment...again! LOL He had totally forgotten he did it yesterday!

The reason her doctors don't notice the difference is more that they are expecting her to be fatigued. I don't think what you are seeing is lethargy, it's fatigue.

Just make sure that they are checking her blood every 7 to 10 days between chemo's. They can give her shots to increase her hemoglobin and her white cell counts that will help with the fatigue.

Sleeping is good. Chemo therapy destroys GOOD cells along with the bad. And when human's sleep, our bodies rebuild our cells.

Try to encourage your mom to eat anything...ice cream, shakes, soup, whatever you can get down her. Don't be worry about nutrition...as long as she will EAT it!

What you are experiencing is normal. Take a deep breath and know that this too shall pass. She is only 5 days out from chemo if I've read your posts correctly. Her appetite may get better as the days progress.

Love and hugs,

Thank you so much! As you know your imagination can take over when facing the unknown! The more I learn the better I can handle this for her and not be worried about the "norms" of Chemo. I have been a nervous nellie over this and the more I learn the better equiped I feel to help her through this. My poor Mom has been such a modest lady all her life and she is keeping her sense of humor about how many have seen her backside that she remarked how glad she was that she always did her "butt exercises" when she was young! See - that is what I was talking about her great spirit about all of this and that "fog" was scarey but now I can just relax a little when she nods off or asks the same questions that she asked previously. Honestly, I don't think I could have gotten this far dealing with her illness without you wonderful folks. Everyone's sharing spirit here while going through their own trials with lung cancer is a true gift from God above! Thanks and God Bless!

Guest hopeful2

Losing my taste for coffee was the worse! I have not had a cup since 1st chemo tx. in Dec. I use to drink a pot a day. And I miss it, but even the smell turns me off. Just now got to where I can drink cokes. Try slushes, lemonade, tart stuff for your mom. Those type things tasted the best to me. I got dehydrated when I first started and that made things much worse. Even ice cream is better than no fluids, and there's certain to be a flavor that will taste good to her.

I'm a coffee and pepsi person too and neither of those taste right to me anymore. I also want to sleep a lot and if I manage to make it through the work week, I usually make up for it on the weekend. Spend most of Saturday just laying around and napping. I have been drinking a lot more water now, but the only kind I like is the one from Wal-Mart - Aberfoyle Springs. Even water tastes bad to me otherwise. I started on gateraide or poweraid today, it is pretty thirst quenching and also lemonade tasted good. Otherwise my appetite hasn't been much affected. Your mother sounds like she has a great sense of humor, just be there for her and let her know you love her. Trying not to fuss too much and keeping things as normal as possible might help.

Jenny

CamperJones, you mentioned that your mom is on Decadron-I take it that there are brain mets? My Dad was on Decadron for his brain mets, and just so that you know, one of the side effects is a short fuse. Just a thought, since you mentioned that she gets aggitated when you ask the doctors questions. Just wanted to let you know, that the agitation and also an increased apetite are common side effects of decadron. keep us posted as to how she is doing, everyone here has great insight- I agree with all of the responses. take care, Deb

According to my Mom's Oncologist she does not have ANY mets and that her SCLC is considered limited. Wonder why then that he has her on the Decadron if that is used for mets? The reason he gave for the Decadron was to relax her and to "settle things down" in her tumor as she was bleeding quite badly when she was admitted two weeks ago. They give that to her through her IV every 4 to 6 hours if I remember correctly. Can that also be given orally once she leaves the hospital? Does that sound correct about "settling things down"? I haven't read many things here about anyone with SCLC bleeding like my Mom did. Is the bleeding not common to most with SCLC? Thanks so much for your answers.

Hi,

Decadron is an anti-inflammatory, so that may be why it is being used for the tumor. Yes it can be given orally. My Mom takes it along with Kytril (anti-nausea med). It also helps with the nausea.

Hope that helps,

Faylene