It's Back?? UPDATE 4/17/12

Flyman35

4 years later here we sit waiting and wondering.

A couple of weeks ago Tom was having a lot of trouble breathing. He called the doctor and they refused to give him and appt. They told him to go straight to the ER. Instead he went to the local urgent care clinic. The clinic took one look at him and called 911 and had an ambulance transport him to the hospital. They took very good care of him and got him comfortable and admitted him with pneumonia. This is the 3rd time in 3 years for pneumonia.

While he ws there they did a chest x-ray and said there was a 3cm mass in the right lung. His original tumor was also in the right lung on the main bronchus near the aorta. This one is in the lower lobe. They called in the Onc for a consult and he sent him for a CT which we had done on 4/6. We go to the Onc for results on 4/13. We can pick up the copy of the CD and report on Monday though so we will basically know what is going on before the appt with the Onc.

Tom is still having trouble breathing and is very weak. He actually let me push him in a wheel chair when he went for his CT. This is the first time he has let me do this but he knew he couldn't make the walk. He has also lost 15 lbs in the last 1 1/2 months and is now covered in a rash on his chest, stomach, arms, back and thighs. This is an odd symptom to have as nothing has changed in his environment or diet for him to being having an allergic reaction to anyhting. Nor is he on any medications that he would react to.

Needless to say I am very worried.

More later

Denise

Hi Denise,

Well, I don't blame you for being worried, but it sounds like your answers are coming really soon, and with the answers will certainly be a plan.

Please keep us posted about what's going on with Tom.

As far as the rash, is he using anything new topical? I developed a strange rash just prior to starting chemo, and it turned out to be a bad reaction to a new lotion I tried.

Cindy

Thanks all!!

Tom's Oncologist has confirmed that there is NO SIGN OF CANCER!!! He says the bad news is that your lungs look like crap. The good news is it's NOT CANCER.Yeah baby!!!

The Onc also said that Tom is getting very good at catching pneumonia. We have now added Spiriva and a Pro Air inhaler for the COPD. Hopefully this will help with the breathing and give him a bit more stamina.

This man continues to amaze me. He's like the energizer bunny. He keeps going and going and going.

Denise

Denise, I've been looking for this update and even wrote you on Facebook. I'm so glad to know that Tom is still NED!!! YAY!!! On the other hand, I'm sorry he is struggling with his COPD. Sure hope the new meds will help him to breathe better and get him feeling more " energized" again very soon!

Hugs ,

Sue