Foundation One Testing?

LizG

A person close to my immediate family is a Chemotherapy Nurse and works with some of the leading oncologists in the area where my mother is receiving treatments for Stage VI NSCLC (Adenocarcinoma). She has been a proponent of having my mom undergo Foundation One genetic testing to see if it will provide any insights to her cancer and help determine better treatment protocols. This test is expensive (around $5000) and rarely covered by health insurance, including my mom's plan, without petitioning. The doctors have said that this test should wait until they determine the success of the chemo and see whether more exploration is necessary, but by no means require it.

Has anyone here had experience with Foundation One testing? I am trying to weigh its merits and learn more about the information it provides and whether it is worth the cost in helping my mom's cancer at this stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Katie! The Foundation One test is different because it's not specific to lung cancer and its results can be useful if standard treatment protocols are unsuccessful. It was recommended by our friend because of an acute but widely varied history of cancer in the family. Both of my mom's parents died from different forms of cancer and many of her cousins, aunts, and uncles were also afflicted.

• 1 year later...