Introducing Myself

Hi I'm Angie

I am 72, Diagnosed with Stage II adenocarcinoma January 2014, right lower lobectomy in February.  No chemotherapy or radiation.  So far so good but concerned in case I need chemo in the future as I have another condition that might make that touchy.  Does anyone know if there are targeted or immune therapies for lung cancer at this time?

Angie

Hi Angie. Welcome .  Did the Doctor mention Targeted therapy?  They do a special test to see if you qualify.  Not everyone does.

You must be just 2 months since surgery,. How is your chest doing.  Are you off pain meds?   When are you scheduled for a follow up CT?

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Donna G

Hi Donna

Thanks for responding.  I am a bit over a year out from surgery.  Off pain meds.  Targeted therapy was not mentioned so far.  The only thing in my reports that might be targetable was the EGFR Wild type and I am looking into that on the Internet.  Have a CT scan in two weeks.  So far things are pretty good but last time 3 mos ago something appeared which from the reports seemed to be related to a bit of fluid at the site of the surgery turned up.  The something was a small air pocket at the top of that lung.  I asked what it meant but got the "Let's see in 3 mos story"  So the next one is "three mos" and I guess I will know more.  I am concerned.  I am unhappy that my oncologist is so un-forthcoming. Also have an appointment that week for a second opinion.  My chest has been pretty much OK but a little tight for the last 6 mos which I also mentioned to my oncologist with not much response.  It also allergy season (severe) here and post-nasla drip time.  So I will see and compare what she has to say with the 2nd op.  Thanks Again

Hi Angie,

My story is somewhat similar to yours, diagnosed last spring with BAC, surgery in June, no chemo or radiation. Just had followup CT scan in March & oncologist didn't like the look of my "surgical area" so sent me for PET scan yesterday. Will get results this afternoon.

I know it's hard to be patient finding out what's going on when we're dealing with cancer, but I think it's a good thing that your oncologist is not rushing into a diagnosis. If she were certain about what your scan indicated, surely she would have told you. 

Maybe you can work up a list of questions for your next appointment so that you will feel like she's giving you whatever information she has. Also, I hope you are bringing someone along with you to your appointments; for me, that support was critical.

Try to be positive & let us know how you're doing!