Husband has stage IV Adenocarcinoma

Pam M

Small tumor found, had lobectomy in July. Went back for routine CT scan and liver mets discovered, sending him to stage IV. Had first treatment of Alimta and Cisplatin. I don't even know what to expect at this point but I'm trying to remain positive.

Hi Pam, welcome.

So sorry to hear that your husband had mets to the liver.

Of course the good thing is that that follow up CT found it !  Also it is good

that he has started his chemo to kill it all we pray.

How is he tolerating it.  Many of us have some side effects but

in the end when it works it is worth it. 

Please keep us posted on how you guys are coping and doing.

Donna G

Hi Pam M, 

Welcome to the LCSC message boards. I am sorry that you and your husband are going through this. We are here for you. Here is a link to our Caregiver Resource Center to start. http://www.lungevity.org/support-survivorship/caregiver-resource-center

If you would like to speak to someone one, 1 on 1 who has been in a similar situation, the LifeLine Program would be a great way to go: http://www.LUNGevity.org/LifeLine

LCSC is a great place to ask questions, seek advice, and to share what you are going through. Hope to hear from you soon. 

Cindy

Pam,

New mets is never welcome news.  Has his biopsy tissue been checked for a molecular profile.  Adenocarcinoma is one of the types of NSCLC that benefits from new genetically focused treatments.  

This video has the details - 

If you can't address the video directly from this link, copy it into the search engine web address and hit return.

Ensure you ask your husband's oncologist if his form of adenocaecinoma is treatable from target therapy.  

Stay the course.

Tom

Cisplatin is one of the toughest drugs in the chemo arsenal. Mine was paired with etopicide. It saved my life.

Expect that things will taste funny as it affects the taste buds. Use plasticware to reduce the metallic taste. Keep him well hydrated and include a sports type drink because the fluids wash away the electrolytes. Stock both stool softeners and anti diarrhea med. it can go either way. He may not tolerate his fave foods. That will change back after treatment ends. The important thing is that he gets calories he needs to fuel healing.

Hair may not all fall out. Mine didn't. It thinned a lot but came back darker. Report any ringing in the ears and neuropathy to the dr.