DH diagnosed with stage IV adenocarcinoma

FLgirl

Early Feb. my DH went into the emergency room with SOB and cough. He could barely eat due to the cough. They kept him and the next day pulled 3.5 liters out of his pleura. Whirlwind here at FL hospital, multiple Doctors and many days later still no treatment. Time has been taken for molecular testing and now they have sent a tissue sample to Germany so see if he will qualify for a trial where they try immuno-therapy along with lighter dose chemo. We wait to see if he qualifies. Anyone out there have any experience with this? He is stage IV NSCC.

I was diagnosed stage 4 adenocarcinoma last April and tested positive for the ALK mutation and was started on Xalkori (an oral targeted therapy drug). I have done remarkably well on this drug. No evidence of disease 11 months out and very few side effects. Prayers going up for you both. I had a large pleural effusion also and am a non smoker which this particular gene mutation is more often found in non smokers.

My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 Adenocarcinoma with malignant pleural effusion.  He was only offered chemotherapy since it was inoperable.  His doctors gave us little information or told us about any additional choices so it was a very hard time.  I am praying for you and if you need someone to talk to, we are always here.  (hugs)

Michelle, my heart broke while reading your post. I am so very sorry for your loss. This is the very reason we have to make people aware of early detection in Lung cancer and make the medical profession aware that there are genetic test that can be done. God be with you.

• 2 weeks later...

FLGIrl, is there any new news? We are praying for you both! Please let us know!

God Bless all of you! Congrats Cheryncp123! Glad the targeted therapy is working for you!

XoxoX,

Mary