New Member Minneapolis, MN

MaryR11

I'm newly diagnosed as of June 28, 2016 with Lung Cancer. It's non small cell adenocarcinoma, RT upper lung, Stage 1.

It was recommended that the R upper lung be removed. On August 2, 2016, I had a bronchoscopy and mediastinoscopy for staging purposes. Both were negative for malignancy. Then I had a minimally invasive right upper lobectomy and mediastinal lymphadenectomy. This showed multiple foci of multifocal invasive adenocarcinoma. They removed a similar lesion of the lateral aspect of the lower lobe using a wedge resection.  No radiation or chemotherapy was recommended after this surgery.  The ocologist will follow me with CT scans every 3 months.  If, in the future, my other currently "less concerning" lesions become problematic, they would decide on the best alternative then - -  excisional surgical approach vs. ablative approach vs. external beam SBRT radiation.

That's probably way more than what you want to know. The only reassuring part of this is "Stage 1" , however, I feel like my death sentence has been entered on the Book of Life. All that remains is to enter the date. Yikes! Yes, I'm plenty scared, but for the most part, I start each day pretty optimistically. And, of course, I've resorted to lots of prayer.

Hi, Mary.  As odd as this sounds, congratulations on your cancer being found early.  So many of us diagnosed with lung caner are diagnosed in the later stages and it makes the battle that much more challenging.  I also had adenocarcinoma; it was in my upper left lung and I underwent a lobectomy in February of this year.  I wish I would have been a candidate for the minimally invasive procedure - recovery would have been so much easier!  I followed surgery with four rounds of chemo and I'm currently NED (no evidence of disease).  There are quite a few people on here who have walked in your shoes and I've found everyone to be incredibly nice and helpful.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome Mary.  I agree with the above,  Thank heaven it was diagnosed at an early stage.

Glad they got to the surgery within 5 weeks.  How did this all start ?  Were you having symtoms or did you happen to have an xray that found it?

How are you doing since the surgery?  Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Donna

Mary,

Regardless of stage, lung cancer is scary.  As for that "death sentence" feeling, look at your forehead in the mirror every morning.  If you don't see the word "EXPIRED" stamped on it, resolve to have a good day.

After nearly 13 years of this nastiness, I've concluded that what matters to me is enjoying the life I have, not wishing for the life I may or may not have.

Abide by your follow-up scan schedule and report any unusual aches and pains.  And, most importantly, with school back in session, avoid school aged children if at all possible.  A chest cold is not the way you want to greet the first fall after thoracic surgery. 

Stay the course.

Tom