Scared!

Ncagle

Hello i am Nathan, 56, life long smoker. I went to my Dr because I noticed a lymph node on my jaw at bottom of ear. Took round of antibiotics no change. Had neck and head CT scan, nurse called said I had abnormal amounts of swollen nodes in neck, collar bone and arm pits. Referred me to hematologist, ENT, and chest and abdomen with contrast. My first appointment is with the hematologist this Wednesday. I am scared! I have had NO symptoms besides a occasional cough. Any thoughts? Please just be honest, thank you in advance. 

Ncagle,

My first thought is swollen lymph nodes can be an indicator of any number of problems including cancer.  Lung cancer however often affects the lymph nodes within the chest cavity and you are reporting nodes outside this area.  But, tomorrow I'm sure your doctor will clarify things.

Welcome here and I hope your stay is a brief one in that you do not receive a lung cancer diagnosis.  If you do, we'll help you through the diagnosis and treatment cycle.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hello Ncagle. 

Tom is right; lymph nodes can become enlarged for several reasons. It's good that your appointment with the hematologist is tomorrow, but the fear is totally understandable. I get really nervous when waiting for answers as well. 

Do you have a list of questions to ask your hematologist? I recommend writing them down. If they don't answer all of them during their explanation, you can ask what doesn't get covered. 

Do you have a friend or a loved one going with you tomorrow? 

Meloni

Thank you both for your advice and encouragement! I have this dread as if I know the answer already, even though i really have no symptoms or it could just be stress from the not knowing. Any suggestions as to what questions we should ask? My dear sweet wife will be by my side. She is such a blessing to me as is my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!

Hi Nagle,

I agree with the others, could be many things. I know it's difficult from keeping your mind from going right to the worst!

I'm so glad you have your loving wife to go with you. Hopefully you will have great relief and happiness after your appointment tomorrow.

Best Wishes,

Lydia

Thank you both for your advice and encouragement! I have this dread as if I know the answer already, even though i really have no symptoms or it could just be stress from the not knowing. Any suggestions as to what questions we should ask? My dear sweet wife will be by my side. She is such a blessing to me as is my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!

Went to the hematologist today. He said I do have a lot of small swollen nodes bilateral of my neck. Of course he really does not know, told me they could be all benign or it could be lymphoma. My worry was it was lung cancer but he didn't seem to think it was indicative of lung cancer. Ordering get a removal of a lymph node with my ENT hopefully next week. Having CT scan with contrast next Thursday. Would love to hear from anyone one and your thoughts!

Thanks Nathan