New to your group..

Denise G

Hi, I'm new to your group. I'm a 74 yr. old female with COPD. I've just been diagnosed with Stage 1A Squamous NSCLC. Because of the COPD and lung function tests, I'm not a candidate for lung surgery. Just had a brain MRI yesterday as a precaution; thank goodness no evidence of cancer anywhere but in my lung. My radiation oncologist has mapped out a method of treatment for me: radiation 3 days a week for 10 sessions. Hopefully this will help my situation. I've read everything I can on my condition and I'm hopeful for a good outcome. I've also read all the possible side effects from the radiation, and I just have to wait and see how it effects me personally. I remain optimistic about my cancer.

Denise G (from NW Florida) 

Welcome, Denise.  I'm sorry about your diagnosis but it sounds like it was caught quite early which is wonderful.  I have found this forum and its members to be incredibly helpful.  Please keep us posted on your progress.  

I see you're from NW Florida - anywhere near Fort Walton? 

Susan, thanks for your welcome. I'm 94 miles east of Ft. Walton Beach in a very small town called Clarksville. All of our major doctors are in Panama City about a 45 min. drive for us. I've lived here 10 years now, having spent most of my life in South Florida, Palm Beach County.

Regards,

Denise

Denise,

Welcome here.

I am very familiar with the Panhandle of Florida and in particular Panama City.  I'm also unfortunately familiar with your recipe of NSCLC because I also have Squamous cell.  The very good part of your diagnosis, if a lung cancer diagnosis has any goodness, is it is an early find.  Radiation ought to fry it.  I wouldn't be surprised if you get a series of chemotherapy infusions after radiation.  That is pretty standard.

Optimism is the secret for success.  For me, the first and second week of radiation were a piece of cake.  The third through the sixth week were difficult.  I developed a bad sunburn-like skin burn and a raspy dry cough.  Prescribed medication handled most of this problem but I started to feel drained of energy as the radiation progressed.  My last week, I was bed-bound save for trips to the clinic.  That I'm told is a usual condition.

Stay the course.

Tom 

Hi Tom:

Thanks for your reply. I do wonder about the side effects I will have with my radiation being done in 10 sessions instead of usual 5 days a week for 6-8 weeks. It seems to be a modified SBRT.  So far I can't find anyone who's had radiation done this way but, even if I did, my reaction might be totally different. And I fully intend to "stay the course" and remain as positive and upbeat as I can. So far no mention of chemo but I'll cross that bridge as I come to it. I'm taking one day at a time right now and am very grateful for the support I'm receiving from my husband and family.

Regards,

Denise  

Denise,

Perhaps a small localized tumor allows SBRT to be more focused thus fewer treatments.  It is a great question to ask however.  Even the radiology techs that administer your treatments ought to know.  And....yes!

Stay the course.

Tom