Hello

My name is Ines.

I am from Croatia, Europe.

My husband is diagnosed with SCLC on his bronchi in January. He received three cycles of chemo (cisplatine and vepezid) and he is doing fine for now, except constant cough

His doctor planned 6 cycles plus prevent brain radiation.

I am here for info, consult, experience, support, hope.

Ty all in advance

Poslano sa mog D2005 koristeći Tapatalk

Ines,

I responded to your first post yesterday, and not realizing you were from Croatia, I sent you a link that compared lung cancer to American baseball!  I am sorry about suggesting that analogy but my point was to prepare you for a long period of treatment, because lung cancer often recurs.  

Your husband is receiving drugs that are often used in the US to treat SCLC and also most SCLC patients undergo preventative whole brain radiation.   Is your husband receiving radiation treatment to treat the tumors in his lungs?

Stay the course.

Tom

No, he doesnt. Just chemo. MD doesnt plan to radiate his chest because it is diagnosed as extensive stage, and she is expecting it will all be gone.

About his caugh. Since tumor is regressing, is it posible that he is caughing because of healing parts where tumor used to be?

Greetings from extra sunny Split!

Ines,

And I've been to Split and Zagreb!  You live in a very beautiful country.  Mountains in the north and sea coast in the west.  Indeed, people told me it was possible in the spring to ski in the morning and swim in the Adriatic Sea in the afternoon.

On coughing, first understand I am not a doctor and I can only be sure of my "first hand experience."  I had a very large -- 7 cm tumor -- in my main stem bronchus that was treated by radiation and chemotherapy.  The object of this treatment was to shrink the tumor and allow the surgeon to remove it by removing my right lung.  As I recall during this "first line treatment", I'd go through periods of pain, breathing discomfort and coughing, but in my case, the coughing was likely a result of the radiation irritating my airway.  So could the dying tumors be enough irritation to cause coughing?  This is a good theory and I'd ask his doctor.

I am hoping his tumors are gone when he completes his chemotherapy treatment.

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom, it really is beautiful country! Its true.. It is so warm rigth now that we can swim, here on south coast, where Split is :-)

Experience is what I need :-)
His tumor was 13x8x16cm in his both main bronci and limph node 6x10cm between his heart and left lung. But it only caused him hard to swallow food and breath, not cough. Cough caught him a month ago, and his MD told him to get used to it. But it is irritating and lasts during daytime. Since it is on his bronchi, I think its dying can be irritating enaugh to cause coughing.

But will certanly will ask his doctor about it tomorrow

Ines,

All things considered, bronchitis is good news as a reason for his coughing.  All lung cancer survivors are susceptible to infection.  Your husband especially because he is in active chemotherapy treatment.  So an infection can easily cause bronchitis and his weak immune system can cause an extension of symptoms.  It all fits together as a reason for his cough.

We are hoping for a good report from his future CT scan.

Stay the course.

Tom 

Tom,

Believe or not, his immune system is exellent. His doctor is everytime surprised about his blood tests. He is just a bit anemic all the time.
Bronchitis is my fault, I have it all my life, and it activated a month ago, right when he get coughs..

I have a question. Since his diagnose is an extensive SCLC, is a protocol to radiate his chest as well? I mean, the tumor itself. I know that doctor expects to all be gone from his bronchi, but what if it doesn't? If it is just under control? I'd like to know the protocol, since its the same all over the world..
Ty