Starting Treatment

Judy M.

Finally got a date to start treatment. Will begin next Tuesday. Learned why the Radiology Oncologist didn't want to do the stereotactic surgery on all 3 nodules as the Med. Oncologist originally wanted to do. He felt that it would be too toxic to do stereotactic concurrent with chemo. But, from what Tom has said that may still be an option down the road if necessary. So, stereotactic on the 1 nodule in left lung which is the largest and then radiation concurrent with carbo/taxol on the 2 in the right which are both less than 1 cm. Was looking at my health record on an app my hospital provides the other day. Rather than saying I have stage IV it reads that I have stage I left lung and stsge III right lung. Find that interesting. Has anyone else seen that? Hope you guys are all feeling good today. Still praying for you Suzanne.

Judy M

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Judy,

I've never seen or heard of a two-stage diagnosis.....! This may be more common than I realize given recent treatment advances, your tumors are in close proximity, and there is no distant metastasis.

I will cross my fingers and toes for a good result on Tuesday.

Stay the course.

Tom   

Thank you, Tom. The Oncologist explained it to me as treating each lung as a separate cancer. It's different. Have a brain M.R.I. scheduled end of next week right after start ( or completion-don't know how many treatments I'll have yet) of STBR. P.E.T. in February showed no mets. Praying that's still the case.
Judy M

I think it was the result of a study my Medical Oncologist was a part of. If you google Durrani Oligometestatic Lung Disease you can read it on the net. So far I have no spread anywhere else. Only in my lungs. That's my best guess Cindy.
Judy M

He told me it was just coming in to standard of care. Looked it up somewhere and now he says it's standard of care. I have a recording of where he said this. I'll trying to find where he refers to it and post it for you.
Judy M

Cindy
He referred to N.C.C.N. or National Cancer Committee when he said this treatment had just come in to standard of care. Tried to look it up, but you have to log in. Could get far enough to see that non small cell lung cancer ( which is what I have) had just been updated. Hope that helps if anyone wants to look into it further. Will keep you guys updated on how it goes.
Judy M

Finally got a date to start treatment. Will begin next Tuesday. Learned why the Radiology Oncologist didn't want to do the stereotactic surgery on all 3 nodules as the Med. Oncologist originally wanted to do. He felt that it would be too toxic to do stereotactic concurrent with chemo. But, from what Tom has said that may still be an option down the road if necessary. So, stereotactic on the 1 nodule in left lung which is the largest and then radiation concurrent with carbo/taxol on the 2 in the right which are both less than 1 cm. Was looking at my health record on an app my hospital provides the other day. Rather than saying I have stage IV it reads that I have stage I left lung and stsge III right lung. Find that interesting. Has anyone else seen that? Hope you guys are all feeling good today. Still praying for you Suzanne.

Judy M

Thank you Judy. I pray for the success or your treatment.
My cancer has been upgraded to stage 4. They found 3 spots on my spine, so my oncologist has me starting immunotherapy with keytruda next week. I am feeling really bad. Telling my grown children has been the toughest thing I have ever done.
God bless us all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear about your upgrade, but glad to hear you can take Keytruda. Have heard of some good results with that. Telling family is very difficult. I also have 4 grown children. We'll keep praying for one another and trusting God's heart. Bless you.
Judy M

JUdy, So Sorry to hear about the "upgrade".  This is not what I think of when I think of upgrade... I think of looking down on my boarding pass and seeing a 1 digit seat number... but, I digress.

I was on Keytruda for melanoma.  I had an infusion every three weeks for almost 2 years.  It was easy, for the most part.  Afterwards I was tired and feeling "flu-like" for a few days, but after that I felt fine. The wash, rinse, repeat cycle of Keytruda got a bit monotonous, but I was able to schedule it to fit my schedule. Also comparatively in the world of cancer treatments, I found it pretty easy.  And best yet, it worked. I could feel my melanoma tumors shrink and I am now no evidence of recurrent disease (NERD) for melanoma.  This is awesome!

Wishing you all the best!

Shalom,

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I only thought I was starting treatment. They did C.T. and set up for SBRT last Monday and said they'd call me when they had the plan ready. Waited all week and called them Friday. Said they'd been working on my plan all week and would call me next week. Is this normal? It's been 6 weeks since I was diagnosed and I've yer to receive a single treatment. I'm praying for patience
Judy M

Judy,

Unfortunately, I experienced a troublesome delay waiting for my first treatment. First a week long in hospital scan and test session, then a 10 day wait till first in office consult with my oncologist. Then his treatment plan was surgical resection, so about 10 more days waiting on the surgeon. The surgeon declined to operate and that resulted in an additional delay. Starting treatment in my experience meant waiting and frustration. So I understand. 

But, once treatment started, delays ended. Treatments went like clockwork. So you have that to look forward to. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Well, I only thought I was starting treatment. They did C.T. and set up for SBRT last Monday and said they'd call me when they had the plan ready. Waited all week and called them Friday. Said they'd been working on my plan all week and would call me next week. Is this normal? It's been 6 weeks since I was diagnosed and I've yer to receive a single treatment. I'm praying for patience
Judy M

Hi Judy,

I am going through the same thing. But after prayerful consideration I realized that I am glad my doctors have waited for all results and had much discussion about me before doing anything. I can't believe how much worse I feel since March 15 (diagnosis day) but I am supposed to start on Keytruda tomorrow. We'll see. Praying for you.
Suzanne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for letting me know you have experiienced the same Suzanne. Maybe it's the usual way. I keep praying, trying to trust God's timing. I comfort myself with knowing He is never late.
Judy M

Thsnk you, Tom. Obviously, this is a common experience. Just hope the brain scan doesn't send them into another pow wow and I can get started next week. P.E.T in Feb. showed no spread but that was 2 months ago
Judy M