New to community

Sara Armstrong

Hi

i was diagnosed with lung cancer Oct 6 2017. I have never smoked I am 47 years old with two teenage girls. I am wanted to connect with someone I can relate to such as a non smoker with lung cancer. I have the Alk rearrangement. Thanks !

Hi Sara 

Greetings from a fellow ALKie.  I am a 51 year old never smoker-competitive althlete.  Diagnosed on 9-21-18.  ALK Positive on 10-23-18.   I’m on Alectinib & doing very well.  

Unfortunately I don’t do Facebook, however there is a vibrant ALK Community.  ALKpostive.org.  There are over 1400 in 40+ countries.  There are some other non FB ALKs here on the forum too. 

Let me know how we can support you.  I went into the deep end of the pool with cement shoes but I learned how to swim real fast.  

Its nice to meet you. This support group is an awesome lifeline! 

Michelle

I understand what you are saying Sara.  Life as a lung cancer mutant presents a different set of challenges.   I’ve been with group since October & it’s great source of wisdom & support.   Glad you found us.  

2 hours ago, Rower Michelle said:

Hi Sara 

Greetings from a fellow ALKie.  I am a 51 year old never smoker-competitive althlete.  Diagnosed on 9-21-18.  ALK Positive on 10-23-18.   I’m on Alectinib & doing very well.  

Unfortunately I don’t do Facebook, however there is a vibrant ALK Community.  ALKpostive.org.  There are over 1400 in 40+ countries.  There are some other non FB ALKs here on the forum too. 

Let me know how we can support you.  I went into the deep end of the pool with cement shoes but I learned how to swim real fast.  

Its nice to meet you. This support group is an awesome lifeline! 

Michelle

Thanks so much for the information. I have felt so alone for a long time now. I would like to hear other stories that are similar to mine. Sound like alk.org will be a good start. I am on Alectinib also and doing well. Nice to meet you!

You might also want to check out the peer support request on Lungevity’s web site too.  I have a peer support mentor, ALKie. She’s awesome.  We meet once a week to talk about life, cancer & how to figure this journey out.  I had to wait a few weeks but it was so worth it.  

Archived