side effects from irinotecan

just me

Hi everyone.

Just wondering if anyone else is being treated with the chemo drug irinotecan as a second line defensse.  Hubby seems to be having a much tougher time with this than the first line carboplatin,etoposide and tecentriq .  The overal feeling of being dropped out of an airplane, stomach issues an burining sensation  are causing him to rethink the whole chemo thing.  It doesn't help that all Dr. appointments are over the phone so they cant feel his stomach or see his face.  Any information or suggestions will be appreciated. 

just me

Hi just me ... I was hoping someone would respond as I am interested in how Irinotecan works. What has the onc said about the symptoms?

I read up a little on the symptoms...diarrhea is the most serious issue and is very common and must be really managed well. Is the burning sensation like acid reflux only much much worse? This is a not so common side effect of Irinotecan. Dizziness is common also. When you said stomach issues and I read about diarrhea being the most serious issue, I thought I better mention it.

Be sure and let the oncologist know about the side effects as they can be managed. I would assume if the symptoms get to hard to handle your husband should see a doctor in person and have blood work, etc. done. As with the first-line chemo, blood work is needed on a regular basis with any chemo drug.

Sorry I couldn't be any help here. Hope things get better.

Steve

Thanks for your input Steve,

The diarrhea is serious sympptom. The oncologist  suggested immodium for some relief.  This chemo is much harder for us than the original Carboplation, etoposide, tecentiq cocktail we had as a first line. I have done some reading and for some people it has been so toxic they needed to discontinue  treatment.  But like any other treatment some people are having success. We have had 2 cycles 90 min each one week a part.  This week is off.  The following 2 weeks treatment, wait 2 weeks and scan.  I am not sure if he will continue.  We will talk to the onc next week.

Hi just me.  So Sorry hubs is having side effects.  We just started 2nd line with topotecan.  This one is given every day for 5 days then 2 weeks off.  It's a 30 min. infusion.  He saw the MO (onc) yesterday and his labs were still ok.  He mentioned getting up the other night and his right leg was not working and he told him he almost fell over.  Now, this has raised a red flag.  Ordered an MRI of head.  As you can imagine, we are fearful that the cancer has gone to his brain--Or if not --he's possibly suffered a mini stroke.  MO notified his primary,  so we had a telephone call with our primary care doc yesterday as well.  They haven't called today with a schedule for MRI, I think it's going to be Monday.  I ran to the pharmacy to get him 2 Ativan for this test (it worked well last fall).  The cost was $0.68!!!    I wanted to ask if I could have some?  Morale is low but we're hanging on.

Has your husband had a 2nd MRI of his head?

Hi Diane,

My husband had one brain MRI, early on.   After our last cycle of Carboplatin, Etoposide and tecentric the Dr. told us from here on in scans would be of chest only.  I thought that was odd.  I pray your husband has a clear scan.

It is challenging because I can't go to the appointments with him to ask questions.  Our next 2 infusions will be preceded by  phone call appointments and he will be alone.   The irinotecan schedule is 90 min one day a week for two weeks, then a week off.  After 2 or 3 cycles they will do another scan. The Dr. did give my husband a prescription for lorazapam, which I believe is the generic of Atavin, to take before scans. Morale is low over here also.  The covid 19 pandemic only adds to the anxiety.   The positive in all this is we are spending this time together.  

Just Me,

This a long shot but it worked for me. In 2006 I had 4th line combination chemo with the conventional drugs Tarceva and Carboplatin infused every 3 weeks and a daily pill of Tarceva, now known as a Targeted Therapy. This was shortly after the FDA approved it for lung cancer but Med Oncs didn’t yet know it had no affect on Squamous cell, my flavor of NSCLC. It had two effects on me: zombie-quality acne and explosive diarrhea. 

My doc dutifully suggested Imodium and Tarceva laughed at that remedy. An online forum in that time had a number of us taking this drug. One suggested steamed rice as the first meal of the day. Plain steamed white rice, not the Uncle Ben type. I tried it and it worked. I tried skipping it till lunch and it didn’t work. I tried flavoring with vegetables and meat and it didn’t work. A little soy sauce adds flavor without affecting my diarrhea. 

I don’t have a clue if it will work with your new med.  But, who knows!

Stay the course. 

Tom

Thanks Tom!

I will definitely try this in the morning.  I love your sense of humor "Tarceva laughed at that remedy". Thanks for your support.

just me

Archived