Magee

Magee

Been on oxygen since August, after removal of the lower left lung lobe.

Setting on the in home concentrator is set at #2.

Also have a pulse concentrator for mobile use, was set at #2 but when using at that level was experiencing shortness of breath. So Doctor said to increase to #3 or #4 as needed. That has very much improved any shortness of breath.

Been recently experiencing shortness on breath while doing small tasks like making the bed, laundry, walking from room to room, etc. when at home using #2 on concentrator. Wondering if others have experienced a change in breathing difficulties. Did it help to increase from #2 to #3? 

Hi Magee,

Welcome to the forum.  I had my lower right lobe removed in May of 2019 and initially had shortness of breath but with a planned workout program I was able to regain my former health (I do 5 miles/day and weights).  So, in my case it was mostly a return to my former capacity.  It would help if you can share what your capacity was prior to surgery as it is hard to compare what happened to me to anything you are experiencing without understanding that.  

Were there any complications in your surgery or recovery?  Is your breathlessness new only since the surgery?  The more you can share, the more our folks here can offer information.  In the meantime, I hope you are keeping the breathlessness under control.

Lou

On 10/27/2020 at 7:22 PM, LouT said:

Hi Magee,

Welcome to the forum.  I had my lower right lobe removed in May of 2019 and initially had shortness of breath but with a planned workout program I was able to regain my former health (I do 5 miles/day and weights).  So, in my case it was mostly a return to my former capacity.  It would help if you can share what your capacity was prior to surgery as it is hard to compare what happened to me to anything you are experiencing without understanding that.  

Were there any complications in your surgery or recovery?  Is your breathlessness new only since the surgery?  The more you can share, the more our folks here can offer information.  In the meantime, I hope you are keeping the breathlessness under control.

Lou

Hi LouT,

Thanks for the response. Yes, the procedure was to be about 2.5 hours. It was over 6 hours as the robot could not staple the tube as planned. Surgeon had to go in and close by hand. The lobe was successfully removed as well as 11 lymph nodes.
Yes, had some shortness of breath before, and it was the reason I sought medical help. A biopsy was performed. The mass was malignant. So opt for surgery. I don’t have anywhere near the breathing capacity as before, to date. Maybe I am too anxious and need to give it time. The surgery was August 7th. Again thanks for your advice on the details.

Magee,

Okay, so it sounds like you had some differences in your surgery that were unplanned.  Also, your surgery did seem longer than normal.  Mine was about 4.5 hours long and then of course there is the recovery time that we all go through.  If you were breathless, to any degree, before the surgery (can I guess from smoking?) then I would have expected that breathlessness to be increased by the surgery.  Not just from the loss of lung tissue, but also from undergoing the surgery itself.  The surgery leaves us with pains, strained muscles and a body that needs to readjust after such major surgery that I can understand that we don't breath nearly as efficiently as pre-surgery.  If that is the cause then that should improve as time goes by and if you are using your spirometer as well as maintaining a program where you are moving and helping to increase your capacity as much as possible.  You should also check with your surgeon to get his take on the breathlessness and his prognosis on it going forward.  I hope you continue to improve though and feel better.

Lou

Archived