CATCH 22 of immunotherapy

Sophie51

My husband was diagnosed was a large carcinoma in left lung in late March 2019. His prognosis was 2 months.

As of today, he is in remission and doing really well.

There is a catch 22 though. From what the doctor told us today, once the patient quits immunotherapy, this type of LC usually returns in 95% of the case and kills fast, without recognizing the immunotherapy anymore.

So, the longer the immunotherapy, the better the chance to land in the 5%. My husband has been on it for 13 months and, for sure, he’s getting another 5 months.

What do you think guys? Maybe never stop the therapy? 

On another topic, Eczema came back with a vengeance on his legs. We want to try some anti inflammatory nutrition.

Can anybody recommend a good book? 

Thank you everybody, sending positivity

Sophie

Sophie,

Small cell is a challenge. You are right about the Catch 22 as concerns conventional chemo. One normally gets a complete response but the cancer mutates against treatment and mets appear everywhere. My reading suggests immunotherapy is a new dynamic. In training the immune system, small cell can’t hide. Normally, non small cell folks take immunotherapy for 2 years. Then they are monitored by quarterly scans. Not sure about the small cell protocol but I hope it is similar. 

Eczema is a well recognized side effect. While medications can reduce the symptoms, it remains bothersome. Not sure nutrition will change thing for the better. 

I do hope immunotherapy continues to arrest your husband’s small cell. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

I was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in Feb, 2019. I had lung lesions and a brain met. I was given 2-4 months, "maybe a year". The Dr started me on chemo and immunotherapy (Tecentriq) immediately. Went through many rounds (4-5?) of chemo since then. I'm now in a "second line" of treatment involving yet another newly approved chemo drug (Lurbinectedin). While some minor side affects appear, the fact is that I'm still enjoying the heck out of life. For me, chemo will never stop. What amazes me is that we have some brilliant scientists working on solving this nasty cancer disease.  And they're bringing out new stuff often. For example, neither of these drugs were approved for sclc before I was diagnosed. Awesome, when you think about it. Finally, I was informed that my immunotherapy lost effectiveness in May or so 2019. Recently, it has spread to my liver, but my brain is disease free. So "regular" chemo seems to have done the trick so far for me. Now it's up to the new stuff. All I can add to your situation is that each individual cancer case is unique, even if the disease is the same. So generalizations are usually incorrect. Second, a positive attitude helps. If nothing else, you feel better. Mostly. Third, keep asking questions. You never know what scientists will roll out tomorrow.

Golfman: You are the embodiment of courage and hope. Courage because you took cancer head  on  and hope since  life is boring without it . After all there are no other choices. I hope you continue improving and I hope new drugs will soon change the outcome in your favor. I root for you as  you deserve the best.

GaryG

Archived