Back, and hoping for good news

Cara.M

I last posted here some time ago, about my husband's adenocarcinoma diagnosis.  He underwent 4 SBRT radiation treatments of his nodule in February.  He then had a motorcycle "incident" that landed him in the ER in early April, and they did a CT with contrast to make sure he didn't have internal injuries.  In May, he revisited the radiation oncologist and was told his nodule had shrunk slightly, but that was a good sign.  He's on a 3-month schedule for rechecks.  He had his CT this week and the report was posted to his hospital portal.  

The good news:  "The dominant nodule now measures 7 x 4 mm (axial image 44 and coronal image 54), previously 12 x 11 mm."  

I'm concerned about this, though:  "...with increasing number of adjacent spiculated nodules with surrounding groundglass in a bronchovascular distribution of uncertain
significance. These new nodules may may be infectious/inflammatory or treatment-related although bronchovascular spread of disease is also a possibility."

I'm back to search the forum and site for what this might mean (doc visit tomorrow but I want to prepare!).

There were nodules besides the cancerous one, but they were never noted as being of any concern.  

Doc is just having us recheck in 3 months.  I hope they are just inflamed and not worse!

"Spiculated" can be of concern though isn't always.  The fact other nodules were present previously is a hopeful sign. I've had ground glass nodules come and go over time and others on here have posted the same.  Good doc will be checking back in 3 months.  IF it is anything they will catch early...  

Cara,

I'm a 20-year survivor of non small cell squamous cell lung cancer with my right lung removed shortly after diagnosis. I suffered a metastasis to my left lung shortly after recovering from surgery in Feb 2004. I've have a long CT scan history that identifies spiculated and ground glass nodules in my left lung, so much so, that to avoid frightening scanziety, I track them on a spreadsheet based on the radiologist's description of their location. 

I know this is unsettling but the scan appearance and the characteristic descriptions indicate what the nodules look like, not that any one or several are metastatic. Frequent screening by repeated CT scans is the best course of action to catch any recurrence early.

Stay the course.

Tom