CT Guided Biopsy

gaylepc

I was wondering if some of you could share your experience with having a CT guided biopsy. That is the next procedure I have to have to find out if the mass I have is cancer, and I would like to hear your experiences with it. As usual with any procedure, I am full of anxiety about it. Thanks in advance!

I have not had that experience and don't know anyone first hand that has had that for lung cancer.  Hoping others will come along soon with some info.  Just want to send my best as you proceed with biopsy, whichever version you undergo.....

So edive's feedback reminds me some of when I had more of an xray (more involved than that) guided biopsy prior to my diagnosis of preinvasive breast cancer.  It was not a CT though I bet there are similarities.  I know I didn't feel a thing as far as the biopsy itself went- they numbed me up very well.  It was the hard table (neck turned to one side for too long and ribs on the hard table) that were painful.  I knew to be as still as possible while they worked to get the sample they needed.  It was over with before I knew it....  

A tissue biopsy is the gold standard for determining malignancy.  Please remember to insist on biomarker testing as well.  This information could be very useful later on.

During my diagnosis process I was scheduled for a CT Guided Biopsy.  they had a the CT Scanner laid out with soft blankets as I would need to lay on my stomach.  The scanner provided the location of my nodule and the doctor reviewed this while they numbed my back so they could insert a long needle to take the tissue sample.  Unfortunately, my nodule was very small and in a location where no matter what position I took or whether I held my breath or not the doctor was not convinced he could get a so he decided to stop the procedure.  In my case I had to go for a resection and then lobectomy.  But the procedure itself was nothing to bad although it does provoke some anxiety, but that's normal for the course as we are faced with this journey and especially the diagnosis phase.

Speak with your doctor.  Perhaps they can give you something to take prior to the procedure to make it more comfortable for you.  
Lou

On 8/22/2024 at 3:45 PM, Livin Life said:

So edive's feedback reminds me some of when I had more of an xray (more involved than that) guided biopsy prior to my diagnosis of preinvasive breast cancer.  It was not a CT though I bet there are similarities.  I know I didn't feel a thing as far as the biopsy itself went- they numbed me up very well.  It was the hard table (neck turned to one side for too long and ribs on the hard table) that were painful.  I knew to be as still as possible while they worked to get the sample they needed.  It was over with before I knew it....  

Yes, I have had one of these for  breast imaging myself. The lung one sounds a little more involved and a bit higher risk (pneumothorax).

Yes, I gathered more involved and glad Lou was able to provide info....  and yes on the waiting.... so difficult!  Again, keep in mind talking with your PCP about adding Vistaril (aka Atarax) or Buspar as an adjunct to Xanax IF that is appropriate for you - both of those meds can be taken prn as well.  Vistaril helps calm ruminating though is more sedating (depends) during the day- it's an antihistamine..... used as an antianxiety med as well.

When I had my gamma knife procedure, they gave me one blue pill and I missed the whole thing-- although I was, technically awake. 🤣 I do remember hearing them comment on how out of it I was. Since I imagine it would be standard practice to give you something for the procedure, be sure to have a conversation with them well beforehand about the meds you are taking that can compound the dosage of anything else they would typically use.