Onc referral in Chicago

slbroughton

I can recommend the University of Chicago. I had a consult with their oncs as a second opinion type thing and had my actual chemo in my own town. But, I wanted to see the U of C oncs because they are a research hospital, and would figure to know the most current forms of treatment.

Otherwise, I would try Loyola, Northwestern, Rush, any of the bigger hospitals at least for a consultation. Chemo is tough and I didn't want to drive an hour to get the same thing I can get less than a mile from my house, but I sure did want to know what they thought I should do.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phyllis

Sorry, I didn't see your post. I go to the Univ. of Chicago and my onc is Dr. Vokes, who is supposed to be the world's leading expert in chemo. However, Dr. Vokes does mainly Trial III drugs and Dr. Cohen my onc now does Trial I and II drugs. The attendings are very nice and are overseen by the above mentioned docs. Everyone is soooo nice and the oncology nurses are great. The food including the dessert is wonderful. PM me if you have any questions or problems while there. I have going there for about two years now.

I second the referral for Dr. Cohen--I saw him for a second opinion type thing before I had chemo. He was friendly, knew my case inside and out, and I was very confident with his opinion, which, by the way, happened to match that of my onc here in my own city.

I just didn't go there for chemo because I got the same thing here at home, but I did want their opinion and I will be back to see them later this summer just to check in and see what's new, if anything.

I had my surgery at U of C, and do go there for follow-ups every 3 months with my surgeon. I certainly don't have any regrets about that, and if I ever need any other type of really serious surgery, I'll be there.

If you are closer than I am to Chicago, I would absolutely recommend going to the U of C--they are always in the top 6 in the country for cancer care according to the US News and World Report annual study, why mess around anyplace else if you can get treated there?

I second the referral for Dr. Cohen--I saw him for a second opinion type thing before I had chemo. He was friendly, knew my case inside and out, and I was very confident with his opinion, which, by the way, happened to match that of my onc here in my own city.

I just didn't go there for chemo because I got the same thing here at home, but I did want their opinion and I will be back to see them later this summer just to check in and see what's new, if anything.

I had my surgery at U of C, and do go there for follow-ups every 3 months with my surgeon. I certainly don't have any regrets about that, and if I ever need any other type of really serious surgery, I'll be there.

If you are closer than I am to Chicago, I would absolutely recommend going to the U of C--they are always in the top 6 in the country for cancer care according to the US News and World Report annual study, why mess around anyplace else if you can get treated there?