Final Gifts

Has anyone read the book "Final Gifts" ? Someone suggested it to me as I had a lot of questions about end of life issues. In it I found a wealth of information and a book I couldnt put down. As a caregiver it has helped me so much!!! I recomend it to any and all of you. It gives you a whold new perspective and also helps you to understand and help your loved one that is going through the dying process. You wont regret reading it!!!!

Hi, I read it and enjoyed it a lot, too. I read it after my Mom had passed and it helped me understand what she went through. I am reading, "On Death & Dying" by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross now. I just started it, and it looks pretty good, too. I find the books help me with my Mom's passing.

Lyn

Years ago, a few months before my Mom passed from brain cancer, her nurse told me about “On Death and Dying”. Excellent book.!!! The nurse told me about it after Mom and I had a ‘discussion’ about her birthstone ring. Mom was telling me when she passed, she wanted me to have her birthstone ring, my sister to have her cameo ring, etc, etc. I was upset that Mom would be talking this way. I had always tried to be the eternal optimist with her, and now she was talking about death?

Mom’s nurse explained to me about the ‘stages’ patients go through. Mom knew she was not going to make it through this terrible illness. She needed help to eat, bathe, etc. The one thing she still had control of was her possessions. While she had her thoughts intact, she wanted to make them known. By me telling her ‘oh Mom, you are not going to die” or “Why are you talking like this”, I was actually shutting her down. It was a very valuable lesson I learned which I remembered my sisters last few weeks with us.