Radiation and Metal

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

As I've mentioned, my onc has almost convinced me to have WBR aka PCI but they have no answers for my questions since I'm not average. Such as in will it do further damage because I've already had a brain aneuryism.

WELL, when I had that aneuryism (ruptured artery) they clipped it with a big ferrous type metal clip. I also have a metal plate where they opened my skull. I am not even allowed in a MRI room (no kidding) because the magnetism can move the clip and oops - there go I.

WELL, does anyone have any info on radiation and metal? Wouldn't the metal collect the radiation and hold it there? That seems really a bad thing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

"In 1899, Joseph John Thomson investigated ultraviolet light in cathode ray tubes. Influenced by the work of James Clerk Maxwell, Thomson deduced that cathode rays consisted of negatively charged particles, which he called "corpuscles" (later called "electrons"). In the research, Thomson enclosed a metal plate (i.e., cathode), in a vacuum tube, and exposed it to high frequency radiation. The oscillating electromagnetic fields caused the atoms' field to be resonated and, after reaching a certain amplitude, caused a subatomic "corpuscle" to be emitted. The number and speed of these varied with the intensity and color of the radiation. Larger increments of the radiation intensity or frequency of the field would produce more electrons."

Okay, this is a very far reach but if there are any math or scientists out there who understand how this could relate to radiation and metal in the body, give it your best shot in helping me understand.

I know. I know. Probably apples and oranges or maybe nuts and oranges. :lol:

Can you find a neurologist to talk to. Surely a neurologist would know.

My husband was seen in the Neuro-Oncology department after PCI, for help with the problems following PCI. If you want I will give you his name and phone number and you can call and see if he will talk to you.

You really need all the answers that you can get before you can make a decision.

Anne

The radiation you would recieve during any treatment should have no effect on the metal clips or plates in your head. The radiaton will pass through the metal. It's only held there if it's exposed for a long time (weeks/months). The 1899 experiment and the treatment you recieve are apples and oranges, very different animals. ( I've been doing scientific and medical research for over thirty years )