Question on loss of voice from radiation therapy

Guest Michelle

Guest Michelle

My husband has stage four NSCLC. He was DX in April 2002. He had radiation therapy to the lymph node area for three weeks. He has a lot of phlegm in his throat and he lost his voice. His throat hurts too. They told us this was normal and it would pass, but, it has not passed and it has been almost a month since he completed his radiation therapy. They gave him a liquid to drink before meals that numbs the throat...he didn't like it so he won't use it. He said it felt too weird. He takes Percocet for the pain...but, what can we do to help him lose all that phlegm and get his voice back? Has anyone been through this? Did you have these symptoms and do they really pass? Would a decongestant or an antihistamine work? The oncologist never offered either, but we see him tomorrow and I want to be prepared w/questions so my husband can feel better.

Thank You,

Michelle

Michelle,

Earl just finished 28 rad treatments on 4/16. He fortunately did not get esophagitis but was taking carafat all during treatment.

His voice has been weak since he had a tracheostomy. It can be stronger in the morning and then as he gets tired it gets weaker.

Is your husband coughing? The dr. should be able to presribe something to help - don't let them overtalk you. Tell them you want SOMETHING to help and keep saying it until they listen.

Guest Lainy

Hi,

My father has StageIIB NSCLC and he was refused chemotherapy based on his physical state. He was very very weak and the onc said he could come back at another time but he decided not to take chemo at all. ANyway, this led us to alternative therapies, the first being 714x. You can find information at www.cerbe.com or email me at staticnomad@hotmail.com if you want more information. The reason I am replying to your post is because during the 2nd cycle of treatment and onward Dad has used a nebulizer to inhale the 714x. This caused him to cough up phlem. He had not been doing this prior to the nebulizer and I grew concerned that it was worsening his condition, however, after talking to several nurses and doctors our fears were aleviated as they informed us that whatever he was coughing up was much better out than in. I am telling you this because 714x is non toxic and if it has loosened up stuff in Dad's lung then I would guess it would help to break up your husbands phlegm. Also, herbal tea... you can get throat formulas helped Dad when he lost his voice. I can't say that he lost his voice for the same reason as your husband but it did give him comfort.

I hope this helps,

Lainy

Guest Michelle

Hi Ginny,

Thank you. My husband is on Prevecid (something w/a P - it is an acid reducer), he is on Diflucan, he tried antibiotics, he tried antihistimines and decongestants, cough syrup, steam, tea - he has tried about everthing that might help - but no voice - and I mean NO voice. Nothing comes out when he tries to talk. :(

Hi Lainey,

I asked for a nebulizer and the radiation oncologist said it would not help as his chest is clear. :?: It is his throat that contains the phlegm.

Thank you both so much. ;)

Michelle

Hi, Michelle. My wife had radiation on her upper spine in November, and lost her voice. It was a direct result of the radiation treatment. She had improved with time, but she still has periods of raspiness and finding it hard to swallow. We have gone to an ear/nose/throat doc and he could see nothing with scope. We intend to go to a gasto doc at some point to see if he might suggest something to improve her swallowing. In meantime, when she is in those periods of difficulty, we fall back to liquids and mushy foods. Don

Guest Michelle

Hi Don,

Well my husband not only has this loss of voice issue w/the excessive phlegm, he also cannot even hold mere water in w/out gagging and vomiting. He was severely dehydrated and he developed chest pain and shortness of breath, etc., and he is now in the hospital. His cancer is stable so this has been a real shock to all of us. I am devestated. They just have no idea what is going on. :( Perhaps tomorrow after his upper GI we will have answers.

On top of it all he found out via an echo he has a blockage in his heart. :( He has never had heart problems and has no family history. He quit smoking the day he was diagnosed w/lung cancer - over a year ago. His BP and cholesterol have always been VERY low.

I wish your wife all my best. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Take care,

Michelle

Husband DX w/stage four NSCLC April 02

Mets to brain, lymph nodes, heart sacs, lungs' pleura, adrenal gland

Currently in hospital fighting a blockage in his heart and an unknown ailment in his throat